It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

mams mom HB User
hernia from c section

I just had sugery 4 days ago because after my last csection I ended up with a hernia right at my scar. At times it was painful, more just inconveneint and in the way. It was so big I couldn't wear regular jeans, I still had to wear my maternity pants. I was excited to get this fixed but today was the day I could take my dressing off and take a shower. So I did both. Now that I can see my stomach, I noticed that where the bulge once was is back. I am hoping that it may be just swelling, but if so it's VERY swelled. Has anyone had this happen and post op is there usually a lot of swelling? I haven't over did it either. Although I have 4 little ones ina small house my Mom has been some great support as well as my husband. They have done all the cleaning, lifting, changing diapers.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
(male)

Aguy44 HB User
Re: hernia from c section

It may be a bigger scar, and swelling may make it to look even bigger. I am a man, so I don't know how big the C-section cut was. But I had my own hernia surgery in January,
and I know they use either the "patch" or the "plug" to repair hernias. My hernia was on the left side of my abdomen -they called it "inguinal," and after the surgery I felt something like a paper plate inside my abdominal wall. I still feel it. I believe this is the
reinforcement they use nowadays, compared to just stitching they did years ago that usually broke again by abdominal pressure, and needed a second repair. You don't mention anything about your physique, but if you are overweight you will benefit by weight reduction, which will reduce the pressure in your abdomen, and prevent failure
of the surgery. I had a follow up evaluation visit with my surgeon 3 weeks after surgery,
and he told me everything was fine. If you had your operation recently, you should have
the follow up visit too, and by that time the swelling should be gone. But be very careful until then. NO SUDDEN BODY MOTIONS THAT MAY PUT EXCESSIVE STRESS ON
THE REPAIR! I still feel the scar of the surgery inside me a little, but my doctor told me to expect it, and I have gotten used to it by now. I have also started "SLOW" exercises to strengthen my abdominal wall, and I suggest you discuss this regiment with you doctor. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Aguy44; 03-01-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
(female)

mams mom HB User

Thank you! I am about 165, a little over 5 foot tall. I have lost a little bit of weight since the surgery cause I haven't had the stomach to eat much and I was vomitung the first 48 hours following the surgery. I woke up this morning and it looks much better. The bulge is smaller and my skin is looser. How long did it take you til you were able to drive? I'm definetly not in a hurry to but just curious.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
(male)

Aguy44 HB User

I don't remember exactly, but probably 2 weeks. I am retired, though, so there was not need to go to work. But I had a lot of pain, and difficulty walking for almost 3 weeks.
I just stay around the house, and since I am a writer for various publications, I have no
boredom problem. But, more importantly, I have known of people who had 2nd, and 3rd hernia surgeries, and I know those people as sloppy and careless types. I suggest to you: a) Slow movements - especially when you get up from any sitting position- for at least a month. b) If you can lose 10-15 lbs in the next 2 months, that will be great.
c) Think very hard if you want another child; with a C-section, and a hernia, you may end up with multiple surgeries, and a patched abdomen that you will feel at every moment.

Closed Thread