It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User
Best way to sleep with herniated disc?

anyone have suggestions for best way to sleep w/ herniated disc?

My L5 disc is herniated and compressing my S-1 nerve causing shooting pain down left leg and numbness of foot and lower leg.

I had epidural steroid injection on Monday and was starting to feel a little better but it got worse again today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Best way to sleep with herniated disc?

I have a wedge that I put under my knees to sleep. It takes the pressure off of your lower back. The wedge is like the ones that they have in PT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

PEmom HB User

I have had L5S1 herniation's (4) and I have found 3 positions that work for me. 1) on side, with hurt leg on top on a pillow(between legs) knees slightly bent. 2) On back with pillows under knees so that back is flat. 3) on stomach but with no pillow at head, and 2 pillows at hips/thighs. I have found when the nerve is really fired up it may take up to 20-30 minutes in one position until your body relaxes enough to be comfortable to sleep. Hope this helps.

I had shots and it would take up to 1-2 weeks before the full effect took place, and sometimes it hurts as the meds go into your disc area, like a throbbing as it moves into where it needs to go. The second shot may help because it joins with the first to help your problem. The angle of the shot may also help, my dr did one sideways(like sniper) instead of the traditional up from the bottom. Each person is different, the side approach worked for me.
Good luck, be encouraged, back pain is not something you would wish on anyone.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User

thanks!

I'm getting another epidural next monday and hope it helps

Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

tmorgan813 HB User

I found that sleep in on my stomach, with my hurt leg bent and my body semi curled up is the best way for me to deal with this pain. I've had this issue for 16 years now and I have tried everything. I don't like having anything between my legs, and when I do, it actually puts more pressure on my nerve...causing more pain. I hope you find some relief. I am now at the point of looking into disc replacement....so trust me, I know your pain.

Closed Thread