It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

Maidak HB User
Question Herniated Discs

I have L4-L5 & L5-S1 herniated discs and Lumbar radiculopathy right leg.
It has been two months since what I call the eruptionMarch 25, 2010,(little did I know that my back has been degenerating for about one year prior-it had been stiff and sore when I would wake up but I thought it was that I needed a new mattress.
I am not overweight although I could lose about 7 pounds,regardless
I have had two transforminal injections spaced about 28 days apart,I have also taken hot baths,cold packs to my right leg,very little walking or sitting for any length, and now I am getting physical therapy.WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS DOES A DISCETOMY CURE HERNIATED DISCS AND CURE THE RADICULOPATHY? I WANT TO KNOW IF I SHOULD GET SURGERY IF IT IS A CURE OR NOT? THE PHYSICAL THERAPY (MECHANICAL TX,ELECTRICAL MUSCLE STIM,THERAPEUTIC EXERCISE,MANUAL THERAPY,DEEP TISSUE VIBATORY MASSAGE HAS HELPED.
LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSES
Lynne in Arizona

Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
(male)

Davesport HB User
Re: Herniated Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidak View Post
I have L4-L5 & L5-S1 herniated discs and Lumbar radiculopathy right leg.
It has been two months since what I call the eruptionMarch 25, 2010,(little did I know that my back has been degenerating for about one year prior-it had been stiff and sore when I would wake up but I thought it was that I needed a new mattress.
I am not overweight although I could lose about 7 pounds,regardless
I have had two transforminal injections spaced about 28 days apart,I have also taken hot baths,cold packs to my right leg,very little walking or sitting for any length, and now I am getting physical therapy.WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS DOES A DISCETOMY CURE HERNIATED DISCS AND CURE THE RADICULOPATHY? I WANT TO KNOW IF I SHOULD GET SURGERY IF IT IS A CURE OR NOT? THE PHYSICAL THERAPY (MECHANICAL TX,ELECTRICAL MUSCLE STIM,THERAPEUTIC EXERCISE,MANUAL THERAPY,DEEP TISSUE VIBATORY MASSAGE HAS HELPED.
LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSES
Lynne in Arizona

I have a friend who is very heavy who had the surgery you speak of and has not looked back (no problems). It has been ten years now without problems. Another friend has a discectomy and was good for 5 years and is having trouble again. My L5/S1 ruptured 4 years ago and I wish I had surgery right away. Many people say "no you don't, it will get better - give it (a long) time. After a few months herneations can "resolve" to the point the surgeons opt to not do the surgery. Every case is different but I've seen people get immediate relief from radiculopathy through discectomies. Having two herneations may certainly chanage their approach - a discectomy may weaken the area more. I hear of more plates being used now to beef up the areas, but I know even less about that. Good luck Lynne.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
(male)

timeload HB User
Re: Herniated Discs

surgery does help but i would tough it out for awhile it might get better on it's own. i had it done in 2000 and it reherinated last year, i had a cotisone shot and it worked great for about 6 months. try everything else first you might find something that works great for you.

Closed Thread