It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
(female)

kgwoz HB User
Another Cervical Disc Herniation..

Hi everyone,

I had an ACDF on C5-6 almost four years ago and had a great recovery. Last week, I woke up with intense pain and burning in my neck and shoulder (sometimes shoots pain down arm). This time it is on the left side of my body (last time was on the right side and more in my hand). This new pain feels exactly like the pain I had due to my herniated C5-6. I have to call my surgeon, but wanted to find out what other people had similar issues and how the new pain was resolved. Did you have an additional ACDF on the new herniated disc?

Thanks,
Karen

Last edited by kgwoz; 08-16-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User
Re: Another Cervical Disc Herniation..

Hi kg, Since it's been 4 years since your surgery, it just may well be that the disk below or above the 5/6 might have new issues. My surgeon told me that after my acdf or 4/5 and 5/6 that he may have to go back in at some point and work on the disk below or above the ones he fused because a fusion weakens the disks above or below them. I have the same pain you do only my surgery was performed 7 months ago. That burning pain along with muscle involvement. Let us know hon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Another Cervical Disc Herniation..

I agree that it can be an adjacent area or movement in the fused area. I've had some symptoms that are indicative of C4 (my ACDF is C5-C7). But also had some symptoms that are more C6. My prior Orthopedic Spine Surgeon did x-rays and said nothing was wrong. My new Orthopedic Spine Surgeon did one x-ray with me looking towards the floor and one with me looking toward the ceiling. A simple x-ray shows that there is some movement in C6. It's possible, even with hardware, that the rest of the fusion via bone didn't occur. This new OSS is great. Also diagnosed my back problem with one simple x-ray. I have a history of spondylolisthesis where one vertebrae moves over another and a prior L4-S1 fusion. I had new pain all of the sudden last April, but it was somewhat relieved by laying down if only for a little while. My old OSS ordered an MRI and said "it's normal". My new OSS took one x-ray of me reaching forward as if to touch m toes showed that L3 was moving forward. Every time I laid down it moved back into line. So both times x-rays have been key (which totally surprised me but taught me a lot)

Closed Thread