It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User
Prolonged pain after hernia sugery

I had lap. ventral hernia surgery 16 days ago. Most of my tack incisions are healed, but a large incision is still painful and even throbs with stabbing pain just out of nowhere. This is a new pain and only began a couple days ago. Is this normal? It doesn't look to be infected.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
(female)

ScooterMama59 HB User
Re: Prolonged pain after hernia sugery

Hello,
I know that you posted this a while ago, but I was wondering how you are doing? You had this done in America? What type of mesh did you have put in? I am an American wife of a NATO soldier here in Belgium and I had this surgery done last September at the Dutch Hospital. I had the largest Kevlar (Gore-Tex) mesh put in and it covers my stomach from right below my breasts to 2 inches above my pubic area. They did it by LAP and put 13 hole sites in me with 2 fastners in each site. That's 26 fastners. Well, I just lost about 23 pounds this year and I am having pain in my spleen and liver areas from this. Actually, I think I have an infection from this mesh. I am going to Istanbul, Turkey soon to have a detailed check-up (over 65 tests and procedures) and GOD willing they can figure out what exactly is wrong. I am heading back to America this Spring (PRAISE GOD) and I just might look about having this thing OUT of me and have the dissolvable mesh put in. Wonder if it can even be done. The /Belgians are 20 years behind having any real advanced medicine, I just wish I would have known that before I let them put this in me. Unfortunately, I was here just 3 months before they did the procedure.
Anyways, I hope and pray that you are better. I was OKAY with this after about 8 months after the surgery, but here I am having some other issue from this. Really sorry I ever had anything done over here. Looking forward to getting back to my good 'ole US of A where our medical rules the world!
Thanks for listening and GOD bless you and your healing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #3
(female)

Mine was done in the US. I still have incision pain in the port site, but it is slowly going away. They told me the mesh they used is plastic 8 x 4 inches. Yours seems huge!

I hope you gt fixed when you get back to the States. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
(female)

ScooterMama59 HB User

Thanks Kerry,
I am already looking in Washington State, where and who I can get to take this out. The only other thing I would like to ask you is: Did they repair the mesh and did you ever get fatigue, bone or muscle pain from yours?
Thanks again, I'm trying to decide if I should maybe get some antibiotics for a very possible infection before I travel to Turkey.
Stefanya (stef)

Old 10-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
(female)

I have had mine in only since Sept. 10. There is nothing to repair on the mesh. Yes you should get some antibiotics if you think you have an infection.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Kerry, I would think it is normal. After surgery the nerves start regenerating. I had a hysterectomy 10 weeks ago. Had no discomfort until last week. I went back to the dr because of an external stitch that was irritated but was told pain is normal for 6 months. An infection usually shows up with a temperature and a high white blood count.

Closed Thread