It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2001, 02:32 PM   #1

dizneygoofy HB User
I need some help! Multiple cervical disc herniation's requiring surgery soon!

I AM A 39 YEAR OLD MAN who was injured on the job 3 years ago. i currently have 3 disc'c which are herniated in the neck i believe c-2-c-3 c-4-c-5 c6-c7 but not real sure of the exact locations. they are causing "Severe Spinal Stenosis" I have constant neck pain,mid back pain and right shoulder pain.I am experiencing weakness in the right arm and hand and sometimes i have numbness and tingling in the arms and hands. this has been going on over 2 1/2 years. i have been through epidural injections of stertoids 3 times and 24 weeks of physical therapy. Nothing has helped. My Dr. now says the disc's are pressing the spinal cord itself almost flat in 3 places and that surgery is needed to remove the 3 disc's replace them with spacers i think he said and then put a plate in to stabilize the neck. Does this all sound right? is there someoneout there who has had this surgery? what all does it entail? surgery time? recovery time? how will i be post surgery and how long is the recovery process? PLEASE TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW! I AM TERRIFIED TO DEATH AS I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD ANY TYPE OF SURGERY AND WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU COULD OFFER. i DO HAVE AN APPOINTMANT THIS MONDAY 04/09/2001 WITH THE NEUROSURGEON TO DISCUSS THE OPERATION ITSELF AND SET UP THE TIME. Please Help !

------------------
Sincerely,
Steven Clements<p>[This message has been edited by dizneygoofy (edited 04-07-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2001, 07:08 PM   #2

PatG HB User
Re: I need some help! Multiple cervical disc herniation's requiring surgery soon!

Hi DG: I just read the post above mine after I wrote you. My neck fusion DID go okay, by the way. However, it was at only one level! You have all the symptoms of this type problem. Understand when dealing with the neck, you MUST have some type of decompression on that main spinal nerve. (That is the never that if it is cut, a person is paralyzed). Your fusion may not totally get rid of your pain; your fusion would save your main spinal nerve from permanent damage. In the low back, there is NO main spinal cord, only little nerves that go into the sciatic nerves to use your legs. Your neck is different in that respect. My problem is that having my low back and neck (and now recently mid-back) is getting to be too much for me in so many places. HAZ is just like me in that respect. Please do not be terribly disappointed if your pain does not totally go away. Much of my pain is caused by arthritis in the facet joints (the small openings that the little nerves pass through from the main spinal cord). This is what is causing my arms to burn (mainly my left). I sure hope you read this; as in Florida it is rather late. I also had a huge bone spur poking into my main spinal nerve. I had the disk herniation on the right side and I saw the MRI and that totally herniated disk and that big spur was majorily pressing on my main spinal nerve. I really hope you visit this site one more time tonight or tomorrow. I've been laid up due to epidural steroid shots in my lumbar L4-5 area, plus, as stated, my legs have been getting numb. I sat around so much this past winter due to a major depressive situation that came up in our lives and now I have an additional problem. (Oh, I love it when our tax dollars work to torture us a little more)!!!
Bye, PatG

Old 04-08-2001, 10:12 PM   #3

dizneygoofy HB User
Re: I need some help! Multiple cervical disc herniation's requiring surgery soon!

Haz and Patg thank you so very much for the words of encouragement.I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon in the AM tomorrow morning (thats Monday 04/09/2001) to discuss the surgery and what will happen aswell as scheduling the date. I do not believe i am a candidate for that other place here (bonati) or whatever the name is because my injuries were all work injuries and i am limited to treatment only where workers compensation sends me. By the way I have sustained 7 different back and neck injuries at work over the past 3-4 years and this is the cause of my present back and neck problems the Dr. says as well he says there is now some arthritic conditions involved in the neck and hips and low back too. Anyway just a Question is this surgery DANGEROUS? is there a chance to be paralyzed from it? iif so what is the chance of being paralized from the surgery? Also i have never had anesthesia before....is there any complication from anesthesia? Alsoone more thing.... I AM VERY VERY CLAUSTROPHOBIC and am afraid to death of wking up after the surgery with the ventilator tube still down my throat. Do the usually remove that tube before you wake from the surgery? Thank you again! You are true ANGELS and my only support through this time!
Steve

------------------
Sincerely,
Steven Clements

Old 04-23-2001, 06:50 AM   #4

BBrooks717 HB User

I had anterior cervical neck fusion in Oct.2000 Mine was done by one of the best Orthopaedic Surgeons who only does neck and spine and Colombia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC. I was so frightened, had tried everything but in the end I needed surgery. The only thing I want you to ask your doctor is, what are the chances on scapula burning after the surgery. that is what I am left with and was not told of it. PLEASE have him explain this to you. I am aware of multiple cervies who have this problem post op also Good Luck to you

Old 04-23-2001, 12:14 PM   #5

dizneygoofy HB User

Does anyone know what scapula burning is?

------------------
Sincerely,
Steven Clements

Closed Thread