It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2001, 04:17 PM   #1

Rafitz HB User
Has anyone had groin pain from herniated disk?

My husband has had groin pain. The doctor has told him it is from the herniated disk at L4 L5? Anyone heard of this?

Old 12-21-2001, 09:34 PM   #2

kathryn2 HB User
Re: Has anyone had groin pain from herniated disk?

Hi, I have had three operations at that level. I had and stil have SHARP pain at times. It is like a knife going through me. Comes on very fast, and leaves that fast too! Nothing can be done about mine, they say. Just told to live with all the problems that I have. And I do! Wish I could be of more help to you. Happy holidays. kathryn2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2001, 09:30 AM   #3

LeeEllen HB User

Hi - Yes, I too have had groin pain from the spine. It's very painful to say the least.

What is the doc going to do for your hubby? Is there a plan of action? If surgery is suggested, please get more than one opinion. There are other options, and once surgery is done, usually you're just never the same anymore.

Also he must remember that if he has surgery, that doesn't mean his pain will go away. Surgery is to repair "mechanical" defects -- it's not a guarantee that the pain will be cured. God Bless! And please let us know how things go. Peace, Lee

Old 12-22-2001, 03:33 PM   #4
Inactive

The Rock HB User

Yes-when i ruptured my L-1 i had terrible groin pain. It was very sharp and very intense, so i know he's going thru a rough time. I hope everything works out for him....and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-26-2001, 12:27 PM   #5

Lu_lu HB User

My mom had surgery for her herniated disk and had these pains.

Old 01-06-2002, 01:06 PM   #6

lamahan HB User

I have groin pain also. I was told mine was due to nerve root compression. Depending at what level his herniation is, will determine where he will have a lot of pain. Mine is at the L4-5 level. That nerve root tends to cause pain in the groin, buttocks, and lower leg levels. If you're interested, there is a good illustration of nerve roots and where pain can be felt in a book by Arnheim. It is an athletic training book that I used while in undergrad. It was the best in explaining where pain is distributed to. I can't remember the exact name of the book, but it was an injury assessment book. It is a big green book we all refered to as the athletic training bible. LOL

Something I was told about today that I should do before I have surgery is to go through an EMG. That will determine exactly what nerves are being affected by the herniation. I hope you can find the book, it might help to visualize about what I am talking about. I think the chapter is on lumbar spine examinations. It may be under dermatomes in the index of the book. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2002, 01:38 PM   #7

Rafitz HB User

Thank you everyone for replying... guess what we just found out.. hubby has a hernia! He has been checked at least 15 times by different doctors for a hernia and no one found it till now. They ordered a hernia-gram done.. and there it was. Thaks again for everyones thoughts. I appreciated it.

Closed Thread