It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

soniasamuel HB User
cervical disc herniation making life hell HELP PLEASE

hi there could somebody please advise me on how to get the help i need for my disc herniation?

finally months after i had a work accident (2008) an MRI showed i had a disc herniation at the c5/c6, i have since had physio, accupuncture, and a spinal epidural and am now constantly on many pain meds and yet still in continous pain and discomfort, i was offered injections into my shoulder joints but refused as this was explained to me as a hit and miss treatment i am now awaiting pain management but have no faith in this, i have had to change my doctor due to lack of help with this problem and my new doctor just keeps giving me stronger pain killers and saying try not to take them too often :-( i have been advised to wear a neck collar and told basically i got this for life so live with it can anyone advise me how i can get better help with this problem as the pain is getting worse not better and is now in my neck, shoulder, arm thru to my middle 3 fingers and now seems to be effecting my leg too?????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: cervical disc herniation making life hell HELP PLEASE

hello Soniasamuel. Welcome. Sounds like you need to do an EMG.
I also suffer from chronic neck pain 5 years already. It never goes away.

I've been checking the meds you take (your profile) and I can tell you it's nothing for chronic pain. No wonder you can't sleep and need to get sleeping pills. I'm sure your doctors over there in England know that but keep prescribing you sleeping pills.

What you're taking is mainly codeine derivative from what I understand and codeine is nothing for chronic neck pain. For chronic neck pain only narcotic pain meds help and Clonazepam.
I keep reading here again and again in England doctors don't like to rx narcotic.
Unfortunatelly I can't change the laws in England.

So far I was taking Oxycontin 40mg(with narcotic pain meds you will need to increase as years go by) but now they change how it works so I will need to get a different med. Oxycontin is oxycodone so it much stronger than codeine.

If I was you I would tell the doctor you're suffering and those meds you take don't help enough. now you understand why...There used to be a guy from england in our forum whose doctor rx him fentanyl patch, so you can ask your doctor for that one and also thee used to be a girl from england whose doctor rx her morphine and there is Clonazepam. Clonazepam really helps neck pain and sleep but you will need to increase the dosage. I can tell you in order to have any relief and sleep(I'm trying not to take it every day) I take 4mg clonazepam. But you will need to check with your doctors over there what's the maxium dosage on clonazepam so you be ready.

Let me know how you are doing and please do this EMG. Perhaps there is a nerve damage and you will need an operation. But I'm not a doctor so let's leave it to the wiser guys in our forum.

I'm really sory you are suffering. I have 2 bulging disks in my neck and suffer non stop so I know what it "feels" like to suffer from this literally pain in the neck.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you injured? Was it a whiplash? and by the way, without the meds my life would be a pure hell. With the right medication and sleep you will be able to get better!

Last edited by nochange; 11-02-2010 at 09:47 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to nochange:
soniasamuel (11-07-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to nochange For This Useful Post:
soniasamuel (11-07-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I'm sorry your going through this. Do you know any details about your MRI?
Actually a good PM may be able to help. You have to keep in mind they deal with spinal injuries all the time. The key word is GOOD.
There are other procedures PMs try. Don't rule out the ESIs either. If the right doctor does them & they hit the right area you can get some good relief. I did not have the best of luck with the injections the first couple sets but I have had some success, especially in the hands & fingers.

No mention of a surgeon?

I had a hernation in the C5-6 & went through with a fusion I did get some relief but have some additional problems now. There is a chance you need meds for a long time to come & if so you want to be on the right ones. If anything it may give you some quality of life back. The one thing I needed was a good muscle relaxer, not sure what your on but with the nerves & muscles one can set the other off.
Don't give up hope with the right treatment you may get some relief.
How long before you'll see a PM?
I wish you the best,
Sammy

The Following User Says Thank You to sammyo1 For This Useful Post:
soniasamuel (11-07-2010)
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sonia...please go read the response I just gave STENOPAIN in the thread..."New here with Cervical and Lumbar stenosis". I tired to explain what spine docs are looking for in treating you. It has NOTHING to do with amount of pain you're in. That makes no difference to them.

If you look for the symptoms they are looking for, then you stand a much better chance of getting some good treatment or surgery.

It's not about pain but slow paralysis.

Jenny

Last edited by jennybyc; 11-04-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: forgot

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
soniasamuel (11-07-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
(male)

steve1950 HB User

Welcome to Healthboards. I, too, had the same problems in my neck. Made an appt. with a neurosurgeon. He advised me to have a fusion. Did it and been great ever sense. Eventually my adjoining discs gave out, so, had them done also. Overall, it was a 3-tier neck fusion. I would definately go see a Neuro.

The Following User Says Thank You to steve1950 For This Useful Post:
soniasamuel (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
(female)

soniasamuel HB User

many thanks for replying :-) unfortunately have been having so much trouble has been a while since i have been able to look on here but i have finally been given FENTANYL patches, i was very suprised to see this suggestion in your reply after i had been prescribed with it, unfortunately as always with my doctor he hands me pain meds without explaining what and why but thats what wickipedia is for i guess.
I have had the patches two days now but am unsure of what the dosage is he is giving me from all i can work out is it says 12mg/hour, from what i have read or believe to understand this is a high dosage and i am worried about the addiction side of this but i can say for now i've finally had temporary relief from the pain, but it still returns after an hour or so off being pain free but your suggestions were so very helpful and i dont feel like im suffering on my own with this now and that there are people who will try to help. many thanks again xx

Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

soniasamuel HB User

dear nochange

i worked in a major electrical store and i was in charge of white goods on this occassion i was left ( with the help of a moron) to lift a 6.5ft fridge/freezer onto a plinth and it seems with all the twisting and turning then lifting it i had somehow managed to herniate the c5/c6 in my neck but i was only originally diagnosed with an acromioclavicular joint disruption in my left shoulder which left my bone sticking upwards it was about 4-5 months of continual complaining of pain before they finally did my MRI and thus discovered the herniation :-)

Closed Thread