It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
(male)

bg77 HB User
could this be a hernia?

For about 4 months, I've had this "dragging" and gassyish feeling about 2 inches left (MY left) of my navel in my lower abdomen. Not really pain, more of a slight pressure, or almost a feeling of a bubble of gas. It comes and goes, sometimes gone completely, seems to get worse when I am wearing a belt, sitting, or lifting, seems better upon standing (without lifting) and lying down, or when wearing no clothes or loose sweatpants etc. I also have what feels more like a general sore muscle that can really be anywhere along a line from my left buttock, around the side, to the front of my abdomen up to the navel on the left side. A dull, minor pain, but annoying.

A few weeks ago, while carrying a basket full of clothes up the stairs, I held the basket against my abdomen, and felt a sharp, 10-second burning sensation in that same general area that went away. I got the feeling again when carrying my son a few days later. It generally starts off at it's highest intensity then fades down over a few seconds. It almost feels like skin being stretched or rubbed, like an "Indian Burn" or something.

At first I thought it might be diverticulitis, but then I remembered that about a year ago, I was installing flooring in my kitchen. I loaded up about 300 pounds worth of flooring on a hand truck, and while pushing the hand truck, I felt a "pop" to the left side of my abdomen, pretty much on my side under my ribcage. It was sore for a few days then felt OK.

I have lost 35 lbs since then (on purpose of course!). I am wondering if I possibly have a small hernia that has gotten worse as I've lost weight somehow...maybe the looser skin isn't "holding together" things as well and now the hernia feels worse? What do you think?

Last edited by bg77; 11-30-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
(male)

bg77 HB User
Re: could this be a hernia?

Really? 50 views and zero replies? I figured someone would chime in...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User
Re: could this be a hernia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg77 View Post
For about 4 months, I've had this "dragging" and gassyish feeling about 2 inches left (MY left) of my navel in my lower abdomen. Not really pain, more of a slight pressure, or almost a feeling of a bubble of gas. It comes and goes, sometimes gone completely, seems to get worse when I am wearing a belt, sitting, or lifting, seems better upon standing (without lifting) and lying down, or when wearing no clothes or loose sweatpants etc. I also have what feels more like a general sore muscle that can really be anywhere along a line from my left buttock, around the side, to the front of my abdomen up to the navel on the left side. A dull, minor pain, but annoying.

A few weeks ago, while carrying a basket full of clothes up the stairs, I held the basket against my abdomen, and felt a sharp, 10-second burning sensation in that same general area that went away. I got the feeling again when carrying my son a few days later. It generally starts off at it's highest intensity then fades down over a few seconds. It almost feels like skin being stretched or rubbed, like an "Indian Burn" or something.

At first I thought it might be diverticulitis, but then I remembered that about a year ago, I was installing flooring in my kitchen. I loaded up about 300 pounds worth of flooring on a hand truck, and while pushing the hand truck, I felt a "pop" to the left side of my abdomen, pretty much on my side under my ribcage. It was sore for a few days then felt OK.

I have lost 35 lbs since then (on purpose of course!). I am wondering if I possibly have a small hernia that has gotten worse as I've lost weight somehow...maybe the looser skin isn't "holding together" things as well and now the hernia feels worse? What do you think?
I am cautious not to try to diagnose or speculate on someone's condition. I am not a doctor, I am a patient.

What I will say is that your abdominal muscles hold your organs tight to your body, not your skin. So the fact that you lost weight would actually provide a level of relief if you had a hernia (less force pulling on your abdominal muscles).

That being said, what you describe sounds like diverticulitis, but please don't take that as an answer. You need to get evaluated by a doctor. Had I followed my own advice, I would not be writing you with a ruptured colon looking forward to a colon resection next week. I wish you the best.

Closed Thread