It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
possible hiatus hernia, can anyone advice?

Hi, this topic isnt for myself, its for my dad, who doesn't know i am asking about this here as he wouldn't want me to anyway, the problems he's got he will not go to the GP and ask about, its as if he has come to terms with his problem and accepts it rather than wanting to get it looked at, i would like to see peopleís opinions though if this really seems like an hiatus hernia...

Ok well his problem has gone on for about a year or two, he has always gone out drinking a lot for years, and he still does which makes it hard for me to be exact with how long hes had all this for, because hes not in that much basically.

But for between a year and two years when he is in he seems to try to eat a little bit of food and in no time at all he is having to run up to the toilet to be sick (or cough something up anyway), thats gone on for a long time, quite noticeable over the last few months and definitely over the Christmas and new year he does seem to be getting somewhat worse, he was only sick now and then before through the day, but over the last week when hes been in, its not just food thats making him be sick he seems to be doing it just from him being out drinking, he has mentioned that hes spending a lot of the time in the pub having a drink and then going straight the toilet to bring it up, and when hes come home, hes been running the toiler every few minutes, until he feels a little better, but this can sometimes go on through the night.

He is also eating very little as well, over the last few years that hes been doing this he doesnt really eat much at all, he sometimes can eat a bit and seems ok, and then other times he has a few bites of something and then starts making a lot of horrible choking noises and then will go the toilet to bring it up, its probably just as well he has never choked in his sleep from the way he seems.
Over this Christmas though, as i say he seems to have gotten worse, i donít think he has really had any proper meal at all over the period, he very rarely eats with us anyway as he is usually in the pub, even over Christmas, so it is a little hard to judge what hes doing when hes out, i can only presume its the same though, and he has said to my mum hes not had much and that he just keeps being sick all the time.

I know people here can advice and say it does sound like a hiatus hernia, or no it sounds like something else etc... i just dont know what to say to him to get him to help himself though, i know this sounds bad but the way he is and the fact he refuses to get help for it, it seems the only way he will get help will be in an emergency situation where he has to go to hospital for it. Id really rather that not happen though.

thanks

James.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
Re: possible hiatus hernia, can anyone advice?

anyone? would i be best posting this in a different section?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
(male)

jamesinUK HB User

anyone at all?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Sweetie,

it's hiatal hernia. In the esophagus- check out the GERD/acid reflux board.

Pup

Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
(male)

jamesinUK HB User

thank you.

Closed Thread