It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

CTmom HB User
post umbilical hernia surgery

Two days ago I had umbilical hernia surgery. It was done under sedation with a local. I had gone to the Dr. because my belly button was getting repeated infections and oozing and he said I had a cyst and hernia. Had no idea I had a hernia - never noticed anything or had any symptoms.

Anyway, the surgery went fine. He repaired the hernia (without mesh because it was small) and removed two cysts.

I was totally unprepared for how much pain I would be in after surgery - and I'm not a wimp with pain. They told me I could take Tylenol but that was worthless. I have a prescription for Percocet I'm using now which helps but wanted to know from others who have had this surgery is this much pain normal? It's not too bad - just a burning if I lie still - but any movement is excruciating, especially going from laying down to sitting up. Also, my abdomen is really swollen. I tried to put a pair of pants on today and I couldn't button the pants by about three inches. I look about 5 months pregnant and the whole area is covered with bruises. Is this normal? I have a postop visit scheduled in two weeks but didn't know if this was something to be concerned about and if I should call sooner. How long am I likely to be unable to function?

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
(female)

KTMorra HB User
Re: post umbilical hernia surgery

Sorry you are in so much pain,
I myself have had several abdominal surgeries and the best way to try and lessen the pain when you are trying to sit up or even move at times is to keep a big pillow handy and press it firmly on your surgical area before you move. This supports the muscles and lessens the movement around the area. Movement is important, this may sound strange but... The more you do move the better you will feel. Use the pillow to do your deep breathing exercises and cough so you will be less apt to get fluid build up in your lungs. If the pain is increasing or seems different please contact your MD, Not an area to guess with thats for sure.

Hope this helps

RRMS DX 2/07
Copaxone since 5/07

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread