It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

imreallyjin HB User
Hiatal Hernia worsened by diaphragmatic breathing?

Hey everyone, my journey of hell began on 6/19/2011 when I tore several muscles used for breathing (intercostal, abdominal and probably diaphragm) by using a lung exercise device.

I was in excruciating pain everytime I took a breathe, especially as I breathe with my chest. I had to change the way I breathe, into using stomach (diaphragm) to breathe. The transition was so painful that I wanted to just die several times within the first two months.

As I was healing, I noticed that I couldn't sit up, eat, drink properly. I could not stand up and walk for a month, lying in my bed the whole day. I also noticed that I felt very bloated, with the urge to burp and gasp in air, and even hiccup as my diaphragm quivered.

Since today is 9/28/2011, with more than 3 months since the life altering injury, I am so concerned that I still cannot move very much without getting worse. For example, I went to first day of school (fall quarter) last thursday. I walked around a bit, and from that night, I was in severe pain in my sternum area with difficult breathing. It felt as if my diaphragm was overworked and I had trouble sleeping for several days.

Since Hiatal Hernia occurs as the stomach goes up a small opening of diaphragm, am I making myself wear out the diaphragm by breathing with my diaphragm? I read that that is how all mammals breathe naturally; babies breathe diaphragmatically when they are born, but a lot of us lose that ability and chest-breathe as we grow older.

My theory is that I feel so sore and in pain due to hiatal hernia; because I breathe with my stomach going up and down with breath (instead of chest breathing, which I have for most of my life). Also, it could be that I'm noticing the symptoms of GERD - I can feel acid and gas coming up, which leads to me burping or taking sip of water to bring the acid down.

Does anyone here breathe through their diaphragm? I am just so lost; I have already lied to my parents about attending fall quarter of college, because I am in too much pain to commute or even walk around. Because I did not pay tuition for fall quarter, I lost my student insurance, so I'll need to wait until January to get it back and get endoscopy done.

Even if I get the endoscopy and find that I have hiatal hernia and damaged esophagus, how will I be able to become healthy again? I am lost and any thoughts/advice will be appreciated. Thank you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply