It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
(male)

yomamma1134 HB User
Hernia or pulled muscle?

when i was playing baseball today, i was throwing my bullpen, and all of a sudden when i threw the ball (at 100% power) i felt pain right by the lower abdomen. The pain was about 2 1/2 inches below my belly button. the sharp pain stayed for like 4 or 5 seconds and then after when i threw my bullpen and took my stride, it kind of hurt but was really at minimal pain. it doesn't hurt when i bend down with my knees but coming back up has again a very small minimal pain. Also, when i spread my legs far apart it hurts in that same abdominal area (hurts at about a 4 or 5 on a scale 1-10).
what im wondering is if i can get a hernia that fast (like in less than a second) or if i just pulled/stretched something. I'm kinda scared because our tryouts are in a few days and i came back from a rotator cuff injury just about a month ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
(male)

EducatedPanther HB User
Re: Hernia or pulled muscle?

Probably just a pulled muscle, but yes, you can get a hernia as quickly as you can pull a muscle. The only way to tell for sure is to get checked by a doctor. If it doesn't start getting better after some time, it could be a hernia. Hernias do not heal without surgery.

You can get a hernia anywhere along the abdomen wall, or anywhere there is any kind of "wall" really, but for us guys, they are more common in the left and right groin area (aka inguinal hernia) due to the reproductive tubes that pass through the abdomen wall. They create a weak point of sorts. I had one repaired a couple years ago.

Again, only true way to tell, is to see a doctor. Or in my case, wait a year until it becomes very obvious what it is. I would say if you aren't starting to feel some kind of relief in a few days, definitely see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply