It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

USSmercer HB User
Question I have a hernia but I'm scared of a few things

I've had a hernia since last November. It hurt for the longest time but it doesn't any longer, it's just ugly. Some days it's the size of a golf ball and others the size of a baseball. It's in my groin area and it seems to go into my scrotum. I've done some research on it and it seems like it's your typical male hernia.

I don't have insurance or a job right now so I'm not sure what to do about it.

My biggest fear is the surgery itself. I'm scared to death of needles. I'm not even joking. Can they put you to sleep using the gas before they put the IV in? There's no way I could let them put the IV in me. I know people say it doesn't hurt but it's just the though. Yes, I'm a huge wuss.

What's the recovery time? My friend had the surgery and said he was in and out of the hospital in less than 4 hours. I haven't talked to him much about it because that would require me to explain my past (being sexually abused) and my fear of needles. I don't know any of you so it's easy here. How long before I could go play soccer or ride a bike again?

Can someone please give me advice? If you're going to ridicule me for me being scared of needles please don't, it'll only make the situation worse.

PLEASE only honest respectful replies. Don't make my fears any worse.

Last edited by USSmercer; 05-02-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
(male)

sjca13 HB User
Re: I have a hernia but I'm scared of a few things

Hello, I had two hernias repaired by surgery, although it was not an experience I'd like to re-live, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was back to running and being normal again in 5 weeks, but the fear of it coming back is always on my mind. I t is best to get it repaired so you can get back to normal, even if it calls for a few weeks of recovery. You will still be able to walk and get in a vehicle after 3 days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
(male)

USSmercer HB User

I'm not scared for the surgery itself, I'm scared of how they put you under for the surgery. I would only do the surgery if they put the IV in AFTER I was out. I couldn't let them put the IV in while I was still awake. That's too far out of my comfort zone.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
(male)

sjca13 HB User

I completely understand. I used to be scared of that to, but have just came to accept its a necessary pain that has to happen in the hospital. I can assure you though, I have the same fears of that but just had to let them do it because the outcome was good. A week later, I barely remembered the needles etc. Just know that you will be ok in the end. Just try thinking of other things while they do it, or ask if you can have a book, its what I did for my spinal tap and several other surgeries related to my disease that involve needles, it really helps.

Last edited by sjca13; 05-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
(male)

USSmercer HB User

Thanks but I've already made the decision to not have the surgery if they can't put the IV in after they put me under. I don't think anyone but myself fully understands how scared I am of needles. I get a lot of crap for it but it's really not funny.

I appreciate your input however.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There are ways to sedate people through gas or pills. (Gas is probably easier.) Dentists sometimes use this stuff for anxious patients.

Find a surgeon. Talk to him. If you don't feel comfortable, find a different surgeon. You need to deal with this.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
(male)

USSmercer HB User

I will eventually. I don't have insurance or a job right now so I don't know what to do. One hospital I went to before said they couldn't help unless it was life threatening without money or insurance.

Reply Reply