It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
(male)

sjca13 HB User
Hernia from sneezing and flu?

I'm pretty concerned, about 6yrs ago I had two hernias repaired. One was about an inch below my belly button right in the mid of my groin (extremely small), the other about right about where most inguinal hernias happen on the right side (kind of large). Neither hernia had bulges I could see the 1st time. Since then I've dieted, exercised, lost about 70lbs of fat, and started living very healthy. My first hernias came to light (and possibly were caused by) a strong bout of the flu with violent sneezing a coughing.
I now have the flu again this week, and have had several bouts of violent coughing and sneezing, during these sneezes my entire groin especially the front and sides gets tremendous pressure and radiates with pain for several minutes, and then feels sore at periodic times throughout the day. To best explain each sneeze, it felt as if someone tossed a 250lb box at me unexpectedly and I caught it. Today my groin is semi-sore but no visible lumps. Could I have had an issue of recurrence, or is this normal during these types of flu coughs/sneezes? I am very worried as the the thought of hernias are a nightmare to me since the first experience and surgeries. I have worked so hard to get my abs and groin fit and in shape. I overcame two life altering diseases to try and make my body normal in the gym. Can your groin literally just have a hernia push through from these violent sneezes, or does it take much more?
(My body sometimes runs weak as I have type 2 diabetes and graves disease)
Thank anyone who answers so much in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
(male)

sjca13 HB User
Re: Hernia from sneezing and flu?

Also, I forgot to add this, I have been laid off from my job, so the doctor is not currently an option at this moment.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There would have to be some weakness in the abdominal wall to produce a hernia. If you are worried, try squeezing a pillow against your abdomen when sneezing or coughing. That might support your gut.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
sjca13 (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
(male)

sjca13 HB User

Thank you Jane, I tried that, it's a little easier on my abdominal wall, my main concern is what exactly happens to cause the pain when I cough/sneeze, and is the pain my ab and groin muscles tearing or developing weaknesses, or is this common? The pressure is quite extreme, and I cant always get in form as it's unexpected. How common is it for people to actually get hernias and hernia recurrences from coughing/sneezing. It really confuses me how a sneeze hurts worse than carrying large heavy objects when doing yard work.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It is normal to have achy stomach muscles from sneezing or coughing a lot. I wouldn't worry. Just hang in there.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
(male)

sjca13 HB User

I have good news, I decided to pay the full bill and go to the Doctor. I was checked out, and he explained that although someone very well could get a hernia from coughing or sneezing, that it didn't happen to me. He did all of the checks and apparently I got a groin strain and damaged some muscles down there, but not bad enough for a hernia to push through. All of my walking stairs and other ab/weight loss aerobics paid off as had my groin been as weak as several yrs ago, it would've been a hernia. So, I feel extremely relieved on the issue, and will be resting and avoiding lifting heavy items a week or two. But I now know to be careful as future flu coughs/sneezes with a weaker abdominal area could result in a hernia. Also, groin strains can feel just like hernias. Well I'm going to go lay back and watch tv without any hernias on my mind! =) After a week, I'll be back to stairs and fast walking to re-strengthen my groin area.

I hope this post will help someone in the future, as I always read through these boards looking for help.

Reply Reply

Tags
flu, groin, hernia