It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

mw64 HB User
Can a CT scan miss an incisional hernia?

Hi, I saw a surgeon a few weeks ago who confirmed that I have an incisional hernia, it's on the left side of the scar from when my large bowel was removed. It's causing me problems and pain, the bowel goes in to spasm and gets stuck in the hernia, any where from a few seconds to hours, the time varies and it's always agony. The day I saw him he got me to sign the consent for open surgery, he explained that because of my complex medical history and other problems it would be a long difficult operation, he then booked me a CT scan and said I would get my appointment soon. I had the scan then soon after was admitted as an emergency with the same problem, this time they pumped me full of morphine and over night it did relax back down, which avoided an emergency operation. Soon after I was given a date for surgery, then a few days ago they cancelled it, saying that the surgeon needs to see me again to discuss the scan. I know that I have a hernia, whilst in hospital another consultant said he could get three fingers easily in to the defect. Having done quite a lot of research I understand that it's possible for the CT scan to miss the hernia as you're lying down at the time it's done, could this be what's happened, or what else could it be? Any ideas would be great please, I need to get this sorted, it's so painful & just when I thought an end was in sight, the operation's cancelled and I can't see him for nearly five weeks as he's away. Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User
Re: Can a CT scan miss an incisional hernia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw64 View Post
Hi, I saw a surgeon a few weeks ago who confirmed that I have an incisional hernia, it's on the left side of the scar from when my large bowel was removed. It's causing me problems and pain, the bowel goes in to spasm and gets stuck in the hernia, any where from a few seconds to hours, the time varies and it's always agony. The day I saw him he got me to sign the consent for open surgery, he explained that because of my complex medical history and other problems it would be a long difficult operation, he then booked me a CT scan and said I would get my appointment soon. I had the scan then soon after was admitted as an emergency with the same problem, this time they pumped me full of morphine and over night it did relax back down, which avoided an emergency operation. Soon after I was given a date for surgery, then a few days ago they cancelled it, saying that the surgeon needs to see me again to discuss the scan. I know that I have a hernia, whilst in hospital another consultant said he could get three fingers easily in to the defect. Having done quite a lot of research I understand that it's possible for the CT scan to miss the hernia as you're lying down at the time it's done, could this be what's happened, or what else could it be? Any ideas would be great please, I need to get this sorted, it's so painful & just when I thought an end was in sight, the operation's cancelled and I can't see him for nearly five weeks as he's away. Many thanks.
It's so terrible that they do that to people here in the UK. As you don't know the rationale behind the decision to cancel I think you will either have to wait it out or go to A&E if the pain gets worse again. I expect CT scan's can miss things as no investigation is 100 percent accurate. I do hope you get some relief soon.

Reply Reply