HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hernia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hernia/)
-   -   inquinal double hernia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hernia/919807-inquinal-double-hernia.html)

toriz 09-23-2012 05:48 PM

inquinal double hernia

I'm supposed to have a double inquinal hernia operation a month today and reading on this site I get very scared. what is the truth about this kind of operations. I could live with what I have by wearing a support. I am afraid of bigeer conseguenzes. Can anyone help with proper info ? I would be very grateful.
Tony
PS I'm 72 years old but in good shape ( up to now)

zipt 09-24-2012 07:45 AM

Re: inquinal double hernia

I recently had surgery for same only single side, i'm 59 very poor health, only half a good lung left so any surgery is very scary for me now but the hernia had to be fixed, they used a mesh which now causes me pain 24/7. They say some nerve endings got caught up in the mesh. Pain is controlled by morphine I take for other problems but if I had to do it again I would. I don't know your overall health and you are older then me but as far as the surgery goes it was really simple, home same day. Worst thing you can do is worry too much. Say a prayer and I'll say one for you in whatever you decide

toriz 09-25-2012 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=zipt;5061121]I recently had surgery for same only single side, i'm 59 very poor health, only half a good lung left so any surgery is very scary for me now but the hernia had to be fixed, they used a mesh which now causes me pain 24/7. They say some nerve endings got caught up in the mesh. Pain is controlled by morphine I take for other problems but if I had to do it again I would. I don't know your overall health and you are older then me but as far as the surgery goes it was really simple, home same day. Worst thing you can do is worry too much. Say a prayer and I'll say one for you in whatever you decide[/QUOTE]

toriz 09-25-2012 03:06 PM

Some nerve ending got caught up in the msh and now you have pain 24/7.
It does not look like that the surgery was a success.
I do need your prayers and I thank you for that.
I'll pray too...
Thannks
Toriz

zipt 09-25-2012 10:50 PM

The surgery was somewhat sucessful, it closed the hole that was forcing something to come through. It could have caused a serious problem. The pain I have now is better than it was before. I also thank you for your prayers.

toriz 09-26-2012 06:41 AM

I'm very happy to read that the pain is better now. Thank you for your prayers and your answer. I will keep praying for you too.
Good luck.
Toriz

EducatedPanther 09-27-2012 08:00 AM

Hernia surgery typically isn't a big deal. I would highly recommend avoiding the mesh if at all possible, as some people get reactions to it, but you won't know until it's embedded and can't be taken out. I had a left inguinal hernia repaired 3 years ago, and don't experience any pain. I had the non mesh traditional repair done.

You really need to take it very easy for the first couple months after. They say don't left more than iI think it was 40 lbs forthe at least a month. The majority of my pain was gone within a couple weeks, but it takes a long time to fully heal. don't be surprised if you get little tinges of brief pain for the first 6 to 12 months while you work away the scar tissue that will be inside the surgery area.

good luck!

EducatedPanther 09-27-2012 08:05 AM

Oh and by the way... Don't not get it done... It will only get worse and it can turn into a life threatening condition if you ignore it. Your intestines could end up twisted and circulation cut off and damaged or worse. The risks of not getting it done far outweigh the risks of getting it done.

Again, avoid the mesh if at all possible. While slim, iIwouldn't recommend risking it unless there is really no other choice.

james4478 11-17-2012 02:13 PM

Hi l'am a 49 year old had a bi lateral inquinal hernia.
All i can say it was an easy operation
I was put to sleep when they did mine on november. 13 of 2012.
They put mesach on both sides
In case you don't know what that kinda hernia is it part of your intestines coming out from where it's suppose to be
By the way does anyone know how long it realy takes to heel this kind of surgery takes?

tUrRrRa 12-16-2012 12:22 PM

I have mixed views on hernia repairs, but I'd be happy to share my own experience. I had a double inguinal hernia repair done several years ago. I had traditional incisions done and no mesh was used. My #1 advice would be to do your research and get consultations from more than one surgeon to talk about their approach and what they think would be best for you. I chose to do traditional incisions because the risk of the hernias coming back seemed to be a little less than laporascopic repair. Also, the surgeon mentioned that it's best for them to see it during surgery (rather than CT scan or MRI - which isn't always too helpful for everyone's case) so they can see the best way to repair it. We went with no mesh because of the risk of my body rejecting the mesh. My surgeon also said she tends to see more women have chronic pain from the mesh.

My surgery was successful. Healing was not bad at all. I took 2 weeks off work and rested at home. As long as I took my pain meds at regular intervals, the pain was never unbearable. Try to avoid coughing, laughing, and sneezing, because that hurts! Never sit up when getting out of bed.. you absolutely have to learn to roll out of bed to the side and not use your abdominals during recovery.

However, I do have some issues. I would get tightness/pinching aches in the area occasionally, but it's gotten worse. It isn't terrible though and I can live with it, but I have to be really careful. My doctors think it's all from scar tissue, which I may eventually have cleaned up with another surgery. I'm trying to avoid this though since it can potentially keep happening. If I had gotten a laporascopic repair, I might have had less scar tissue and less issues now. I feel that each method has its own risks and I wish I had researched it a little more. I never had much discomfort before my repairs. I only got it done to avoid risking it getting worse and becoming a strangulated hernia. I have more aches and pains now than I did before. I can still function and live life just fine though... I just wear an abdominal wrap during exercise, avoid heavy ab or inner thigh exercises, avoid a full bladder, eating a very clean diet to avoid bloating, and I wear a stretchy elastic belt over my lower stomach for support. I also lost some weight so I don't have any extra pressure in that area.

Other advice - please ask your surgeon about physical therapy! I didn't do any and didn't have any recommended. Basically I was told to just rest and come in for follow-up. Maybe if I had done physical therapy or scar tissue therapy, the scarring wouldn't have caused all this discomfort. Someone mentioned this to me and I was a bit upset nobody mentioned it to me. Please ask because it could really help in the long run! I've learned that abdominal adhesions can sometimes take years to start bothering people. Good luck!