It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
(male)

Riccardo HB User
Post Hernia Pain (8 Years later)

Hi,
I've suffered with pain on my right leg after a double inguinal hernia repair,
mesh and titanium coils were used,
I have a constant itch, with sharp pains down the front middle of my thigh.
(And a tennis ball size spot just above the knee)
It almost has a mood of itself, sneezing, coughing, full bladder, taking a deep breath, and stretching make it worse. Some times it feels like someone is putting a cigarette out on my thigh, some times like fiber glass is in my leg.
I've been to see a number of GP's with all of them saying either a nerve block (monthly) or give it time.
Honestly I'm exhausted and dont know how much longer I can take it. I'm 41 and this has ruined my life.

Recently I went for an X-Ray, to show where the screws are, the surgeon that 1st did the operation is suggesting having 2 of them removed...
I'm very worried my thoughts are currently,
1) How easily can the coils be removed? (does the tissue really stick to it)
2) what if the nerve is tangled in the coils
3) what if it makes matters worse?
a) if it does is that nerve perform muscular control?

any comments/suggestions/ help / moral support would seriously be welcome.

I'm going to see a neurosurgeon in 3 days, I'll post what suggestions he has.

My thoughts are what if it gets worse, if the nerve is purely sensory then they could cut it (if it's worse after an op) and although I loose feeling I wont loose my muscles. The pain would go but I could live.
It feels like I'm living a nightmare, I live alone, and seriously need support/help

Love
Riccardo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
(male)

Riccardo HB User
Unhappy Re: Post Hernia Pain (8 Years later)

So much for Doctors, really don't think they care
1st he sent me for an Electrical test
Went for an Electrical test where they tested both my legs, with little electric shocks, it was not a walk in the park, but certainly nothing that I would worry about having done.
When I got back to him he said he could see it quite clearly,
and said "Meralgia paraesthetica" which is where I feel he is wrong, as that is to do with the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, and I feel the pain right down the middle, not laterally?? although the symptoms might be exactly the same.

He was not concerned and I left feeling more upset than when I got there,
He prescribed me taking Neurontin for the rest of my life. 200 mg nightly.

But I have questions : If the pain is down the middle what nerve am I dealing with and is it sensory or muscular or both? and where might if be trapped? and could it just be that the screws need to be removed for everything to be ok again?

???
*sigh*

Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User
Re: Post Hernia Pain (8 Years later)

Dear Riccardo, very sorry to hear about your problem. First it appears that you are in
Panic, calm down friend. I'm not a doc but the condition you are facing is not life threatening. Please wiki the name of this disease and you will get answer to your most of questions. It is mentioned that this can happen in hernia surgery. (Doesn't elobrate whether this may happen normally or by carelessness of surgeon). If this is nerve entrapment (like in shoulder region or back) which normally goes away with rest. Same way take it similarly and give time and take med to reduce inflammation. Not expert opinion but a nerve which start from one place may supply to different location. Don't hurry, if the problem was with mesh it would be localized in groin area only, so don't do any thing in haste, take some tranquilizer to ease mental worry and let time elapse. When my nerve was trapped in back vertebrae I was not able to even stand up but I knew that this is temporary therefore I was worry less and it went away. Buddy be happy and smile. Brotherly.
Bb

Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User

dear Ricardo, To add further, Today I did some reading about hernia repair mesh and found many many people complaining about after effects of mash, though they have this immediately after surgery and your trouble started after 8 years. They complain about digestive problems, pinching, burning in groin area and not in thigh. I had my right inguinal hernia surgery 30 years back without mesh and I got another one on left side which has grown very large now and am also getting recurrence on my right side so now I have problem on both sides but they don't give any problem except that I can't lift more than five to ten kgs. Keep us updated about your problem. wish you quick recovery. Bb

Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
(male)

Riccardo HB User

Hi thanks for the replies so far..

Well I should have made it clear, but the pain I'm having has not let up in 8 years... it's been constant.. some days worse than others, and some days better.

I've been taking the neurontin that was prescribed to take, but honestly not making much of a difference.
He's only given me a course of 30 days and then I need to return. I'll do so only after an additional 30 days... just so that I can compare, the pain before during and after, that way I can be sure it was either helping or not.

Also recently on my right groin area it's been feeling uncomfortable almost like the muscle is cramping, not too sore but uncomfortable...
still feeling scared, and don't know what else I can do. Perhaps it's a good sign hell I don't know but will keep you guys posted ...

Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
(male)

Riccardo HB User
Smile Re: Post Hernia Pain (8 Years later)

Hi guys,
just a little more feedback,

I took the Neurontin for a month and really did not help at all.

It seems as though recently the pain has eased, ( I think almost 9 years later)
which is a great relief the constant itching has almost gone, right now it's just feels a little numb with a slight sensation when I touch my thigh.

I also found out (from my original surgeon) that now days they only use the screws in the mesh for overweight people and those screws are of the dissolving kind that dissolve completely within 1 year. (if I was going to go for an op today I'd make sure my surgeon is totally aware of the modern methods)

For those of you going through this pain my thoughts are really with you, don't give up hope, I know how painful it is, (4 months not being able to walk from pain is no joke).

Live and enjoy each miracle of a day,
Take care
Riccardo

Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Hi,
I've suffered with pain on my right leg after a double inguinal hernia repair,
mesh and titanium coils were used,
I have a constant itch, with sharp pains down the front middle of my thigh.
(And a tennis ball size spot just above the knee)
It almost has a mood of itself, sneezing, coughing, full bladder, taking a deep breath, and stretching make it worse. Some times it feels like someone is putting a cigarette out on my thigh, some times like fiber glass is in my leg.
I've been to see a number of GP's with all of them saying either a nerve block (monthly) or give it time.
Honestly I'm exhausted and dont know how much longer I can take it. I'm 41 and this has ruined my life.

Recently I went for an X-Ray, to show where the screws are, the surgeon that 1st did the operation is suggesting having 2 of them removed...
I'm very worried my thoughts are currently,
1) How easily can the coils be removed? (does the tissue really stick to it)
2) what if the nerve is tangled in the coils
3) what if it makes matters worse?
a) if it does is that nerve perform muscular control?

any comments/suggestions/ help / moral support would seriously be welcome.

I'm going to see a neurosurgeon in 3 days, I'll post what suggestions he has.

My thoughts are what if it gets worse, if the nerve is purely sensory then they could cut it (if it's worse after an op) and although I loose feeling I wont loose my muscles. The pain would go but I could live.
It feels like I'm living a nightmare, I live alone, and seriously need support/help

Love
Riccardo
Had my surgery 2 years ago had thigh pain also lower abdominal pain and bowel and bladder problems with shortness of breath , and developed lupus like symptoms had mesh removed last oct and things got worse whole groin numb and pain leg and foot pain lost (50 lbs hurts to sit I spend most of my time in bed and developed neurological problems . Doc also had to cut and bury 2 nerves and that made things more painful I would live with what you have.Do you have any other problems?

Last edited by Terlin; 06-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
hernia, nerve, thigh