It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
(male)

canetomm HB User
To Mesh or Not to Mesh?

Just diagnosed with umbilical hernia. Have heard horror stories about complications with mesh repair. Anybody have and opinions on whether mesh nowadays is OK or should I stick with the suture method?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
(male)

EducatedPanther HB User
Re: To Mesh or Not to Mesh?

Go with traditional. I did and I am glad I did. The big problem with mesh is that some people react to it, but not until it's embedded in your body. Once it's embedded its not coming out... And you could be dealing with pain the rest of your life.

Unless it's too big to repair traditionally, avoid mesh. Not worth the risk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

HI, my hubby had the umb. repair using mesh about 2 yrs ago w/ no problems to date. I know w/ the mesh you aren't supposed to gain a lot of weight though. No problems w/ that here. Cathy

Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
(male)

canetomm HB User

Thanks, that's what I am thinking. Kinda want to keep foreign objects out of my body if I can help it. Appreciate your input. "No34evr", I hope your husband lives a long and pain free life. Mesh sounds like a great idea to help patch the hole, but guess a little freaked out by some of the stories you read about reactions. Thanks for your reply as well. Tom

Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
(female)

Love2Run9485 HB User

Like the others mentioned, no mesh would be a good option if the hernia isn't too large. If it's very large, traditional repair might pull the area too tight and can cause another nearby hernia. I don't blame you for not wanting the mesh... even my surgeon said they always try to do without it if possible!

Reply Reply