It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
(male)

MattN629 HB User
What to expect after inguinal hernia surgery?

Hi all, I've read a few older threads about people's stories, but was hoping for some new responses.

I'm a 24 year old male in good health, overall fairly active (running, biking, etc.).

Last week I noticed the small bulge on the right side of my groin and started to have some pain today. Went to my family doctor today, and sure enough it's a hernia. He referred me to a surgeon and I'll meet with him next week.

I was wondering what kind of timetable I can be looking at for recovery? What I mean is basically how long it took you to get back to your normal routine after the procedure and even what to expect in the first days/weeks.

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

wardpatricia16 HB User
Re: What to expect after inguinal hernia surgery?

Don't expect to recover right away I had inguinal surgery 3 months ago and I'm still having problems and I been in pain since surgery, I'm swollen and burning bad on my right side and breaking out in a rash which the nurse said on the phone its impossible to break out with the mesh that was put in. I see the doctor soon to see what they say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User

I'm 54, will be 55 in a few days. Yea! Anyway, I just had a hernia surgery in February.
Groin on left side. I had a laposcopic surgery to repair the hernia. The surgery lasted about 45 minutes. No complications! The recovery was touch and go, but went smoothly. I was off of work for 2 wks. Still doing great! I have a bit of pain here and there from the surgery, but doctor told me that this was normal and part of the healing process. I haven't attempted any ab exercise as of yet. DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK INTO SURGERY. lol. I think I'll give myself more than enough time to finish healing. If you like I'll tell you more about my outpatient healing experience in next post!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
(male)

olderperson HB User

Hi Matt,

You're young and should recover quickly.

I'm 58 and had open surgery with mesh the end of May. I was released to work and normal activities in about 2 weeks. It has now been 3 weeks and I still haven't returned to normal activities, but am getting better daily.

If you have laparoscopic surgery, recovery time is slightly faster.

BR
Dennis

Reply Reply