HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hernia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hernia/)
-   -   Shortness of Breath with Hiatus Hernia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hernia/944700-shortness-breath-hiatus-hernia.html)

ShazzaUk 03-31-2013 01:28 AM

Shortness of Breath with Hiatus Hernia

Hi everyone,
I was told about a year ago that i have a small hiatus hernia. This was picked up during an ultrasound scan for something else.

I used to get the usual symptoms of burning and pain but recently i have developed new symptoms.

I wondered if anyone else has these symptoms and whether the hernia can change size. Maybe this could be the reason for the new symptoms which are shortness of breath, its a feeling like i am not getting enough oxygen. It is worse when i wake up in the morning after lying down. I also notice my heart racing and feel extreme tiredness sometimes.

Its weird how a small issue can cause such symptoms.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and i hope some of you answer.

ShazzaUk

ShazzaUk 06-23-2013 12:10 PM

Re: Shortness of Breath with Hiatus Hernia

any comments please?

Terlin 06-24-2013 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=ShazzaUk;5191257]any comments please?[/QUOTE]

I was just dx with hiatal hernia and have shortness of breath, I also had an inguinal hernia surgery 2 years ago and and developed severe pain in lower ab and feel bloated with difficult bowel movements I thought it wad the bloating causing my shortness of breath but maybe I had this histal hernia back then I don't know do you have any other symptoms does it feel like you are breathing from your chest or can you breath from your lower abdomin. And do you have any swallowing problems please list your symptoms if any thanks

ShazzaUk 06-26-2013 02:29 PM

It feels like i am breathing from my chest but i feel like i am not getting enough air. I also get burning at the top of my stomach, a heavy achy feeling in my upper chest and sometimes feel my food isnt going down properly. My main symptom though is the chest pain and shortness of breath.

Terlin 06-26-2013 03:24 PM

What's your doc say, do you also feel bloated or full all the time and do you have back or sholder pain. Does your food go down like you didn't chew it all the way or does your throat tighten?

ShazzaUk 06-27-2013 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=Terlin;5192575]What's your doc say, do you also feel bloated or full all the time and do you have back or sholder pain. Does your food go down like you didn't chew it all the way or does your throat tighten?[/QUOTE]

I do feel bloated sometimes but have no back/shoulder pain.
My throat doesnt tighten but it does sometimes feel as if my food has got stuck.

My doctor has put me on lansoprazole and i have got to go back and see him after the months supply.