It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 06:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 17
t5403cg HB User
Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test

I received a type specific IGG blood test. My results came back as .25 for HSV1 and .5 for HSV2. My Doc says I am positive on both. I've read that you have to exceed .9. If that is the case I should be negative.

I am confused, am I positive or negative?

 
Old 12-18-2003, 07:01 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 17
t5403cg HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test

I should also add that I had a culture taken of the genital rash done (when it was wet) it returned negative for both yeast and herpes.

My Doc said I was positive for HSV2 (with an igg of .5) and positive for HSV2 with less than .5. Is this true?

Someone please advise.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 78
sunnie4567 HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5403cg
I should also add that I had a culture taken of the genital rash done (when it was wet) it returned negative for both yeast and herpes.

My Doc said I was positive for HSV2 (with an igg of .5) and positive for HSV2 with less than .5. Is this true?

Someone please advise.
Can you tell us exactly which test you had done? If it was the HerpesSelect then you are negative. Anything below .90 is negative, and you are way below that for both. Please post your results and we can help you...You're doctor could be totally wrong.

 
Old 12-19-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 17
t5403cg HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie4567
Can you tell us exactly which test you had done? If it was the HerpesSelect then you are negative. Anything below .90 is negative, and you are way below that for both. Please post your results and we can help you...You're doctor could be totally wrong.
I beleive it was the Elisa<?>

 
Old 12-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 78
sunnie4567 HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5403cg
I beleive it was the Elisa<?>
Ask your doctor for a copy of your paperwork..I think he is wrong and you are negative. Once yo uget the paperwork post here what it says.

 
Old 12-20-2003, 07:21 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 17
t5403cg HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie4567
Ask your doctor for a copy of your paperwork..I think he is wrong and you are negative. Once yo uget the paperwork post here what it says.
I'll be picking up the paperwork on Monday; I'll post it than. Thx's

 
Old 12-22-2003, 10:20 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 17
t5403cg HB User
Exclamation Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5403cg
I'll be picking up the paperwork on Monday; I'll post it than. Thx's
Just picked up my test results; they are as follows:

HSV 1 IGG Type Specific AB 0.07; Interpretation Negative.

HSV 2 IGG Type Specific AB 0.50; Interpretation Negative.

A recent culture of the OB area in question returned Negative as well for both Herpes and Yeast.

I had an OB in Late July/Early August (first one ever) followed by this one (early December). I'm confused, given the results of the tests, do I or do I not have Herpes?

Why would my Physician tell me I have herpes 1 & 2 if the tests are negative. I just had another blood test done <via another doctor>, results will be available early next week.

If they are Negative; does that mean I don't have herpes? If so, why would I be carrying the antibodies as the test indicates.

 
Old 12-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,075
devastated HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5403cg
Why would my Physician tell me I have herpes 1 & 2 if the tests are negative.

Your doctor appears to be a moron. Your tests indicate you are negative.

 
Old 12-22-2003, 12:22 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 78
sunnie4567 HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5403cg
Just picked up my test results; they are as follows:

HSV 1 IGG Type Specific AB 0.07; Interpretation Negative.

HSV 2 IGG Type Specific AB 0.50; Interpretation Negative.

A recent culture of the OB area in question returned Negative as well for both Herpes and Yeast.

I had an OB in Late July/Early August (first one ever) followed by this one (early December). I'm confused, given the results of the tests, do I or do I not have Herpes?

Why would my Physician tell me I have herpes 1 & 2 if the tests are negative. I just had another blood test done <via another doctor>, results will be available early next week.

If they are Negative; does that mean I don't have herpes? If so, why would I be carrying the antibodies as the test indicates.
Ok...You're doctor is an idiot. You are obviously negative. However, let's clarify a few things first. The test is only valid if it was done 12-16 weeks post possible exposure. So if it has been that long since you had any contact with anyone (genital/genital or oral/genital) then you are negative. The test does not indicate that you have antibodies. Everyobody will get a number range with their results. The reason for that is that the lab takes a control group and samples it against your blood. This gives them a number range. As long as it is negative the numbers don't mean anything. Noone will get a zero reading. There is all this noise in the sample that make the numbers come up. What you should do now is take another test at 16 weeks post exposure and go off of those numbers. Since you are negative here then there is a very good chance that you are negative. Based on your email it looks like its been 12 weeks since the supposed OB. Keep us posted.

 
Old 12-22-2003, 12:52 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 17
t5403cg HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie4567
Ok...You're doctor is an idiot. You are obviously negative. However, let's clarify a few things first. The test is only valid if it was done 12-16 weeks post possible exposure. So if it has been that long since you had any contact with anyone (genital/genital or oral/genital) then you are negative. The test does not indicate that you have antibodies. Everyobody will get a number range with their results. The reason for that is that the lab takes a control group and samples it against your blood. This gives them a number range. As long as it is negative the numbers don't mean anything. Noone will get a zero reading. There is all this noise in the sample that make the numbers come up. What you should do now is take another test at 16 weeks post exposure and go off of those numbers. Since you are negative here then there is a very good chance that you are negative. Based on your email it looks like its been 12 weeks since the supposed OB. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the comments; I'll let you know what my results are next week (he ordered a IGG, IGM and HIV). If they too come back negative I will ask the Doctor to perform the Western Blot to confirm. I have to know definitively, the thought knowingly transmitting this to my wife (or kids for that matter) would kill me. I still don't believe I'm negative, something is affecting me. Herpes seems the most logical choice given the symptoms.

I just find it hard to believe that a physician would not know how to read the results properly. I've been through hell the past two weeks; I would never wish this on my worst enemy.

 
Old 12-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 78
sunnie4567 HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5403cg
Thanks for the comments; I'll let you know what my results are next week (he ordered a IGG, IGM and HIV). If they too come back negative I will ask the Doctor to perform the Western Blot to confirm. I have to know definitively, the thought knowingly transmitting this to my wife (or kids for that matter) would kill me. I still don't believe I'm negative, something is affecting me. Herpes seems the most logical choice given the symptoms.

I just find it hard to believe that a physician would not know how to read the results properly. I've been through hell the past two weeks; I would never wish this on my worst enemy.
I totally understand how you feel. I've been going through this for six months. Please try and believe your negative results. I have had 5 negative Elisa tests and one negative Western Blot. All of these test were done out to 4 months past exposure. I continue not to believe the results. I have taken one final WB at 6 months. I get the results next Monday. I promised myself that I will accept those and move on. I just pray they are still negative.

Do not worry about passing this on to your children. You cannot pass it to them through casual contact. Just wash your hands after using the bathroom and you should be fine. Good Luck.. by the way...it is not surprising that your doctor is clueless. Most are when it comes to this. Some doctors still tellpeople that they can't pass it on without a visible ob. Others tell people that they were just exposed and don't have the virus because they are assymptomatic. They are so clueless. Whey the hell don't they just get onto the internet and read thorugh these boards is beyond me.

Last edited by sunnie4567; 12-22-2003 at 01:16 PM.

 
Old 12-26-2003, 11:04 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 17
t5403cg HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie4567
I totally understand how you feel. I've been going through this for six months. Please try and believe your negative results. I have had 5 negative Elisa tests and one negative Western Blot. All of these test were done out to 4 months past exposure. I continue not to believe the results. I have taken one final WB at 6 months. I get the results next Monday. I promised myself that I will accept those and move on. I just pray they are still negative.

Do not worry about passing this on to your children. You cannot pass it to them through casual contact. Just wash your hands after using the bathroom and you should be fine. Good Luck.. by the way...it is not surprising that your doctor is clueless. Most are when it comes to this. Some doctors still tellpeople that they can't pass it on without a visible ob. Others tell people that they were just exposed and don't have the virus because they are assymptomatic. They are so clueless. Whey the hell don't they just get onto the internet and read thorugh these boards is beyond me.
Just picked up my second round of blood test results; they are as follows:

HSV 1 IGG Type Specific AB 0.06 (first was .07); Interpretation Negative.

HSV 2 IGG Type Specific AB 0.63 (first was .50); Interpretation Negative.

IGM Test - Non-Reactive

I tend to believe now with negatives returned on IGG (twice - 12/10 and 12/19 tests), negative returned on IGM (12/19 test), and negative returned on my culture I most likely do not have herpes - still not totally convinced. To be sure I am going to ask my Dr. to perform a Western Blot, I have to be positive.

The question remains than; I had an OB in late July/Early August and most recently in early December, what hell is causing it. The only common thread is that I took heavy duty Head Cold medications prior to each outbreak (Tylenol Multi Symptom Maximum Strength Cold medication). I assume it would be possible to have an allergic reaction to it, but around the foreskin and gland of the penis?

I'm starting to feel somewhat relieved; I think the first doctor wh said I was positive may have some explaining to do.

 
Old 12-29-2003, 07:01 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 78
sunnie4567 HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5403cg
Just picked up my second round of blood test results; they are as follows:

HSV 1 IGG Type Specific AB 0.06 (first was .07); Interpretation Negative.

HSV 2 IGG Type Specific AB 0.63 (first was .50); Interpretation Negative.

IGM Test - Non-Reactive

I tend to believe now with negatives returned on IGG (twice - 12/10 and 12/19 tests), negative returned on IGM (12/19 test), and negative returned on my culture I most likely do not have herpes - still not totally convinced. To be sure I am going to ask my Dr. to perform a Western Blot, I have to be positive.

The question remains than; I had an OB in late July/Early August and most recently in early December, what hell is causing it. The only common thread is that I took heavy duty Head Cold medications prior to each outbreak (Tylenol Multi Symptom Maximum Strength Cold medication). I assume it would be possible to have an allergic reaction to it, but around the foreskin and gland of the penis?

I'm starting to feel somewhat relieved; I think the first doctor wh said I was positive may have some explaining to do.
You are negative. Rejoice. If however you need the reassurance get the Western Blot. Your doctor probably won't be able to do it for you though. Please be careful because I have read a few times about doctor's claiming that they were administering the WB. this test is only done at the University of Washington. Good Luck, but I think you're in the clear.

 
Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2
drester28 HB User
Re: Questions Regarding Results of Blood Test

I just received test results for my herpes test (IGG,EIA). My results did not come with numbers it just says the value is positive for both 1 and 2 and the range is negative for both 1 and 2. how do I interpret this test? Can anyone tell me what the value and range mean?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
AGUS/AGC pap results - questions about ECC & endometrial biopsy angel4747 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 38 04-11-2012 11:21 AM
ferritin questions robinhy Anemia 2 08-29-2010 12:31 PM
misleading test results; questions & lessons for all. MandyPandy Anemia 2 08-05-2008 05:15 AM
Questions regarding HBP and other symptoms geezgeez High & Low Blood Pressure 15 04-18-2008 11:00 PM
Questions about possible Addison's gtts4u Addison's Disease 1 11-04-2006 02:45 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added











All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!