It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 07:39 AM   #1

James123 HB User
Does Abreva work?

I've had a cold sore for THREE MONTHS now. It's practically gone but flares up. Does Abreva work? I hear it's an over the counter but "prescription strength" ointment which supposedly heals the cold sore.

After 3 months, I'll try anything.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #2

dxh HB User
Re: Does Abreva work?

Abreva is awesome. I used to get cold sores that would look hideous and huge, then I got some abreva and started using it when I first noticed the cold sores coming on and used it 3-5 times a day and it keeps them relatively small and unnoticable and they heal in a couple of days. It has been a huge success in my case and I always keep some on hand in case one pops up. It costs about 13 bucks for a little tube of the stuff but it lasts for quite some time and for that price you should conserve it and use it as directed. =)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #3

James123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxh
Abreva is awesome. I used to get cold sores that would look hideous and huge, then I got some abreva and started using it when I first noticed the cold sores coming on and used it 3-5 times a day and it keeps them relatively small and unnoticable and they heal in a couple of days. It has been a huge success in my case and I always keep some on hand in case one pops up. It costs about 13 bucks for a little tube of the stuff but it lasts for quite some time and for that price you should conserve it and use it as directed. =)
Thanks, I'll pick it up at the store.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #4

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James123
Thanks, I'll pick it up at the store.
No it doesn't!! I used it and had a cold sore for a month!!
The BEST kind is Denavir(prescription)..have not had an outbreak since I've had it!! Use it everytime I think I may have an outbreak from something that triggers em..and no cold sores since!! GREAT stuff!!=)

Also wanted to add that VITAMIN E works WONDERS for cold sores. Cuts the healing time in half..literally. Buy the softgels and poke them with a pin, apply everytime you apply medicine..it works awesome

Last edited by PinkBanana; 01-14-2004 at 07:38 PM.

Old 01-15-2004, 06:45 AM   #5

James123 HB User

Different medicines work differently for people. I just got Abreva and I'll give it a try. The tube is sooo small. I wouldn't even call it a tube that's how small it is. It's about half the size of one of those small crazy glue tubes! And it costs 16 bucks for .07 oz (2.0 grams).

As for Vitamin E? It did NOTHING for me. I bought a bottle of Vitamin E oil and put it on a cold sore three times a day. It did NOTHING.

Blistex was wonderful for making the pain go away, but it does nothing about making the cold sores go away.

If Abreva doesn't work I'll go to the doctors for a prescription.

Closed Thread