It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ohcanada HB User
Constant Itch for 7 months - help!!!!

Hi There,

I have had genital herpes for 8 months now, compliments of my ex fiancee (who cheated on me in July ).

I had a terrible " primary o/b" and since then I get o/b's each menstral period..I usually get one or 2 sores but nothing like the first o/b. My doc put me on Acyclovir on day 2 of my primary and it worked...healing the sores and blisters within 5 days. I got the fever, the body aches, the swelling in the lymph and the exhaustion.

Eventually I asked for Valtrex as a supressive as I was terrified to go off it because of the fear of another terrible o/b and the fact I have had a re-occurance each period since my first o/b. Despite taking the Valtrex I still got one blister or red pimple each month. And I got burning and itching. I asked my doc to switch me to Famvir...same thing. I am now starting to wonder if I am allergic to these supressives and are they causing me to itch and burn. My gyno said he does not know about that, but can't outrule it.

My problem is ...for about 7 months I have had terrible itching and burning on the left side of my vaginal lips. Underwear drives me nuts, and the itch varies between sore/painful and irritation- but one thing for sure, I am in constant aggravation. At first I thought it was prodomes, but I do not get anything that looks like an o/b. It does get red where the itch is but no sores of blisters. Can a prodome last 7 months???? My gyno said that he does not see anything there, but told me that there is something called " PHN - Post Herpatic Neuralgia" which means nerve damage from the initial o/b or Vulvodynia- an incureable vaginal condition that is very real, and presents itself as chronic irritation, burning and itching.

My question...I don't know whether the itch is prodome, can I have sex? I have a new man in my life who knows I have herpes, but so far I am terrified to have sex in case the itch is prodome. Or, is it possible that I am allergic to the anti-virals ( I have been off the Famvir for 3 days and no itch ) Any help or advice you can give me would be very much appreciated as I am just tired and depressed about it all. I know I have herpes and have dealt with it, but this itch and burn is more than I can take. Best regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User
Re: Constant Itch for 7 months - help!!!!

You could be allergic to the meds. But this virus is so crazy, it could just be the way it's interacting with your body right now. You could try getting off all meds and seeing what happens for a while. You may want to try some of the herbal remedies that have helped others on the board. I don't know much about the meds, but there is an interesting post about Valtrex by Positive One that I read just before reading yours.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:38 AM   #3

veryworriedguy HB User

It would be odd that you are allergic to the anti-virals...but just in case you might want to stop taking them for a week or two and see if your symptoms go away. On the other hand, have you tried INCREASING your dosage of suppressive therapy? If you were on 500 mg of Valtrex once a day...try upping it to 1000 mg (500 mg 2 times a day). Some people do better on suppressives once they increase the dosage.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:46 AM   #4

veryworriedguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryworriedguy
It would be odd that you are allergic to the anti-virals...but just in case you might want to stop taking them for a week or two and see if your symptoms go away. On the other hand, have you tried INCREASING your dosage of suppressive therapy? If you were on 500 mg of Valtrex once a day...try upping it to 1000 mg (500 mg 2 times a day). Some people do better on suppressives once they increase the dosage.

Good luck.
If neither of these things help...I'm sorry to tell you that it sounds like you may have developed nerve damage from the herpes. I have heard of this happening to others, though its a little more rare. The nerve damage can either be temporary and last several months or a few years...or it can permanent in some cases

Old 04-07-2004, 04:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I suffered from extreme vaginal irritation for over 3 months that at first I just chalked up to my herpes....the symptoms were VERY similar to yours. As it turned out, it was not related to herpes at all, it was a Group B strep infection that I had to take a course of antibiotics for.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i know when i was first diagnosed every itch and twitch felt like an ob. Especially around "that time of the month". I finally went in and asked the doc about suppressive therapy.. then it was only available with zovirax.. which i'm still on. I did try famvir, but still had ob's. If my stress level is down and i get enough sleep, i have no ob's. Lack of regular sleep is my biggest trigger. I've been on the suppressive therapy for a very long time. No ill effects. I occaisionally ask for bloodwork but there has never been any problem.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:37 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ohcanada HB User

I really appreciate the replys I am getting. I went off my meds for a week...and the itch subsided for sure...90% better. But, I got an o/b 2 days ago! So, it looks like I may be getting irritation from the drugs. Also, I was tested for BV and other STDS, nothing showed up but I will ask my doc to re-test me for BV or Streph 2. I just do not understand why I keep getting o/b's even with the meds. They are definately not so bad with the meds, but they still happen. And then I stop the meds and get an o/b within days. This entire ordeal has been awful for me and if I have to have herpes, I was hoping to at least be able to have a type that I can manage. Now I am terrified of HIV as I have read that people with HIV and herpes are resistant to the medication. I went for an HIV test and I am waiting for the results ( that is VERY stressful ). Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions and Happy Easter.

Closed Thread