It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2004, 08:31 PM   #1

spee HB User
Question Blisters around outside of mouth

Hey guys and gals,

I've never used this board before but I have used other boards on this site so I figured it would be a good starting point. My girlfriend has always had a persistent cold sore in the corner of her mouth, which with medication seems to go into remission. I recently went home over Easter break from college to see her. The first day I saw her, her lips had dry skin around the edges. The next day she woke up her lips were swollen and it looked like her lips had been sunburned and she had these tiny blisters around the outside of her lips. She said it felt like her lips were burning. After a couple days and no signs of getting better, she went into the doctor and he told her that it was herpes. Now I know that cold sores are a form of herpes and I told my girlfriend this, but she told me that she thought the doctor led her to believe it might be a STD form of herpes. I was very confused with this since we had not had sex in over a month and we were recently tested clean. Now I know what some might think, that she's cheating on me, but when she called me she asked me if I had been cheating on her and picked it up from someone else. Regardless to say, she has not kissed another guy, but I am still worried about this thing that the doctor may have led her to believe about it being an STD form of herpes. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User
Re: Blisters around outside of mouth

Oral herpes can appear on your genitals. Genital herpes can appear on your face. There is no STD form of herpes. There are two different strains of the virus, and each prefers a certain part of your body, but each can also be transmitted in other ways than sexually. There are a number of ways she could have gotten herpes on her face. There is a person whose post I just read who got it by drinking after a friend. Which strain she got just depends on what her friend had! Her friend could have had either on her face. OK?

Other stuff you need to know is that they don't test for herpes in a standard STD workup; you have to ask for it specifically. Also, the tests are not, evidently, real reliable. Furthermore, herpes can lay dormant for many years before activating and causing an outbreak. Many people have cold sores because one of their relatives with cold sores kissed them as young children. They perhaps never had an ob until years later, or they had a mild one as a child that they forgot. This could have happened to her.

With herpes it's kind of crazy to worry about where and when you got it. The best thing to do is gather information on what to do now. I suggest reading a lot on this board. If you spend some time here, reading both new and older posts, maybe doing some searches, you will find out lots of good information, and also that you have been given a lot of false information contradicted by people's real experiences that they share here.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #3

kem2cdm HB User

I got my first coldsore (in the corner of my mouth) from sharing chapstick with someone who had the virus. She could have spread it further on her lips with her own chapstick, for example, it's very easy to do. The point is that since she already had coldsores, it's unlikely that she got another strain entirely from somewhere else, she may have just spread her own strain across her face.

There's many ways it could have been done, there most likely wasn't any cheating involved. Have her ask her doctor what kind of herpes (HSV) she has, there are two strains. HSV-1 is coldsores, which is probably what she has. HSV-2 is genital herpes, which could be what your girlfriend thought the doctor was referring to (the "STD" version.) Both can be transferred to both the mouth and genitals. Finding out which strain she has can help her find the best way to treat her outbreaks.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #4

spee HB User

Hey,

Thanks for the replys. I just talked to my girlfriend and she said that the doctor told her it was HSV-1. Now if she's just telling me this to comfort me or if the doctor actually did tell her this is another thing. I'm thinking that it is a good chance she did just infect the other parts of her mouth, considering it is a ring around the outside of her lips, with chapstick. She said the medication the doctor gave her was an antibiotic. She was laying down when I talked to her because she was feeling sick, which she thinks is from the medicine. I just feel helpless cause I cant be there to comfort her. Just a few questions though. Do these antibiotics actually work, considering were dealing with a virus here? And is really anything more to worry about since she most likely just spread it from herself? Do I have to worry about kissing her now thinking I will contract it all across my mouth? I have kissed her numerous times when her cold sore was active and as of yet I have not had an ob, and that was quite a while ago. Thanks for any replys in advance.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #5

kem2cdm HB User

I'm not sure if antibiotics really help, but it's not good to take them regularly b/c it builds immunity to the virus which could cause more/harsher outbreaks from what I understand. I've never taken antibiotcs but her doctor can perscribe her suppressive medications if the outbreaks are that painful or frequent for her. There are also natural vitamins (such as lysine) and other ways that can help prevent and heal ob's, search this board for better options to antibiotics.

You shouldn't kiss her when she has a cold sore, and you've been lucky that you haven't contracted one so far, though you may have and just never had an ob of your own. Ask your doctor to be tested specificially for HSV, they will check your blood for antibodies. It's best to wait until after the blisters have completly seeped and healed to have contact with her mouth, and now that her blisters are more in abundance it makes it easier for you to catch it because there are more fluids. Obstain from oral sex at this time too, you could catch it on your genitals.

She knows what her body is like, and is fully aware of the symptoms of oncoming coldsores. Be sure to communicate with her so you won't catch it yourself, and get tested.

Last edited by kem2cdm; 04-14-2004 at 02:47 PM.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

What a crazy dr! No, you are absolutely right, antibiotics don't help a bit with viruses. Unless she has a secondary infection, she should get off of them.

As Kem said, don't kiss her mouth or let her give you oral sex until the sores have been gone with no trace for at least 2 days. You really don't want to get this, if you can avoid it. And please keep reading this board for more information, both on keeping you h-free and on helping her with her outbreaks.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #7

spee HB User

I just talked to my girlfriend and finally found out that she is not on antibiotics but an antiviral drug called acyclovir. I'm sure most of you have heard of it. I was talking to my mom, who is a nurse, about it yesterday and she said that she didnt even think it looked like cold sores. Her lips just look a little redder than normal and if you look really close there are tiny little blisters like something you would have if you got sunburned. My mom also said that the doctor should have done a culture on her lips to see if it even is herpes, which the doctor did not do. So I'm starting to wonder if she really even spread the cold sore or if its just not something else. I dont know though. It's hard being up here at school and her at home and not being able to do anything about it. Just pray for the best I guess.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #8

kem2cdm HB User

She should get them checked asap, while she still has the blisters.

You might want to get a new doctor.

Old 07-10-2004, 01:58 AM   #9

Deadcert HB User

I have suffered from coldsores since I was a kid, to put it bluntly they seriously affected my life. None of the treatments were very effective and most could only treat the symtoms and not prevent an attack.

On a visit to a Doctor one day he suggested taking an amino acid, L-Lysine as a regular daily supplement. This was the single best piece of advice I have ever had. The use of L-Lysine has reduced the frequecy of the attacks. the only time I have an outbreak is when I forget to take the amino acid.

The triggers for me are, pressure change (ie dramatic change in weather from hot to cold, or vice versa, scuba diving) stress and tiredness. Infact when ever I went on holiday I would have an attack due to pressure change in the cabin of the plane and tiredness due to travel. I now make sure I don't miss taking the L-Lysine before going away and it is the first thing I pack in my bag to take.

If I am caught short and the irratation that indicates an immenent attack starts, taking the L-Lysine usually stops it in its tracks. I have recently found that if I crush the pill into a powder before I take it that it works faster in arresting the attack. I guess this is because it is asorbed into the body faster.

I can not emphasis enough how this small thing has had a positive effect on my life. I am suprised more people don/t know about it, which I guess is because L-Lysine is not a perscription drug, only a vitimin supplement and as such has no money making potential for the drug companies.

Try it and see, you will be amazed

Closed Thread