It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 08:42 AM   #1

marco pirone HB User
QUICK! hydrogen peroxide to determine if virus is present?

in the book NEVER AN OUTBREAK, the author says that you can put Hydrogen Peroxide on the usual location of outbreaks to determine if the virus is present(and contagious). he says if it is present, the peroxide will bubble up like when you put it on a cut.

I tried the test and I saw no bubbling. is it safe to assume that I am safe and not contagious?

thanks!

Last edited by marco pirone; 06-03-2004 at 05:03 PM. Reason: information was not correct.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:09 AM   #2
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User
Re: QUICK! hydrogen peroxide to determine if virus is present?

WOW that is bizarre i was going to make a post about this. I've got HSV2 and i use Peroxide on my outbreaks and inbetween outbreaks. I was feeling quite "randy" one day and took care of it pouring peroxide afterward and it did bubble.
For the last week or so haven't felt ANY prodrome sysmptoms, matter of fact if i didn't know better i'd say i didn't even have Herpes. I've used peroxide every day this week and have seen NO bubbling at all....

I was gonna suggest it in the forums but didn't have the balls LOL so now...yanno what go for it..i think it does work, especially with guys to tell if your "asymptomatic shedding" ...

P.S. not one single time has it ever hurt or burned or anything...not even when i put on my outbreak, it stung for a second on the actual lesion , but no big deal.

Last edited by serialnovelist; 05-12-2004 at 04:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
Inactive

MissingMyLife HB User

I've been using H2O2 on OBs for a while and the bubbling is minimal in almost all cases.
Do you really think this is an effective method? If so, I feel sorry for the people who spend lots of $$ trying to detect viral shedding.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMyLife
I've been using H2O2 on OBs for a while and the bubbling is minimal in almost all cases.
Do you really think this is an effective method? If so, I feel sorry for the people who spend lots of $$ trying to detect viral shedding.
I think it depends on the situation there are a LOT of things peroxide will react to and bubble other than the virus. if you pour peroxide over your fingernails it'll bubble sometimes right in the cuticle area. BUT it definetely helps outbreaks to clear up. I'd test the theory over and over again, especially when prodrome symptoms were present.

I'd go with the standard measures of prevention and just add it to "list" of preventatives.

Unless you've just washed up and know your 99.9% clean i wouldn't say it would be 99.9% accurate.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #5

Lucky_me HB User

Where do we buy hydrogen peroxide? I Want to try it!

Old 05-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

anna-bananna HB User

like at Wal-mart or any grocery store.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

It's in the first aid section near the rubbing alcohol.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

anna-bananna HB User

Yeah I tried the peroxide thing on my face like right around my lips and nose and sure enough it bubbled, now I know that the virus is definately on my face around my nose and mouth, even though I really don't see anything but slight redness. Well mabye I will try some garlic oil on it at night and see how that helps. By the way I heard someone mention that they use the peroxide daily is that safe??? I was reading the acne board and I heard some one say that it can be very abrasive to the face over time.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

i don't use it on my face so i wouldn't know....haven't had any problems with it being abrasive.

Old 05-17-2004, 06:29 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

anna-bananna HB User

Serial When you use it on areas other than your face do you see bubbling also and does the use of it really help in the healing process.Do you find that it helps more once it is there rather than preventitive or maintenance?

Old 05-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #11

rockandroller HB User

i tried the peroxide thing on my lips and there was some minimal bubbling. some bubbling was on the spot where i had my last cold sore and there were bubbles where i've never had an outbreak. isn't there bacteria on your lips your nose from saliva or a runny nose? could that induce the bubbling? i had some things on my penis and put some peroxide on there to see what happens and no bubbling. reading all this stuff on the internet helps me and makes me paranoid at the same time. the spot on my lips where i had another sore had no bubbling. what gives???

Old 05-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #12
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna-bananna
Serial When you use it on areas other than your face do you see bubbling also and does the use of it really help in the healing process.Do you find that it helps more once it is there rather than preventitive or maintenance?
I've only seen it bubble a couple of time, it takes a minute or two to usually do it's foam thing. When i've actually had lesions down there it's done wonders to make them heal up faster. I don't rinse it off or anything, like pour it over after my shower and let it air dry for a few and then just go about my day. The last few times i've used it i haven't seen any bubbling or foaming at all, but i haven't felt any symptoms of any kind either. I take one valtrex a day and use peroxide and it REALLY has seemed to help a LOT. I think if i didn't have this and had sex with someone who did have it, i would use it after sex as a preventative. It's also a good mouth wash , diluted of course, even though it tastes terrible. LOL

Old 05-17-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

Be careful. It never bubbles on me until I actually have an open sore. This means that I have already been contagious for several days before it bubbles.

On the other hand, it often bubbles near my hairs if I haven't washed right before (I guess hair and oils and skin cells can add up to bacteria.) I wouldn't use it as an indicator of whether you were contagious. Too unreliable. Better to meditate and see how your body feels, any little, barely noticeable symptoms.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:33 AM   #14

womenshealth HB User

Hey I found a great website that may help!
[url]http://www.whrc.net[/url]

Old 05-22-2004, 11:23 AM   #15
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Peroxide saved me again. I was itching a bit in one little spot and i figured it was a "hair" itch yanno ? well i poured some peroxide over it and sure enough it bubbled right in that spot and no where else. promdrome symptoms plus peroxide equals a winning combination. Plus i never broke out and the itch went away in less than a day.

Closed Thread