It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 07:32 AM   #1

lilbrick2002 HB User
Unhappy just diagnolsed, how long will my first outbreak last??? very painful!

Hi everyone. I just found out I have GH. It has been about a week and a half since my outbreak began. I have what seems like a horrible case of it. I cant even go the bathroom or walk well because the pain is so bad. My doctor put me on Valtrex. 2 day for 10 days. I have been on it for a few days now, and I have seen no improvement. If anything , I have more blisters and open sores now. I dont know what to do. Im crying all the time, I just what it all to go away. I think I can better learn to cope and deal with this news, if I didnt have to deal with the discomfort right now. It seems to be to much to handle. I do go back to my doctor in a few days, but in the mean time I have so many unanswered questions. Like is this going to get worse before it gets better? and how long will this outbreak last. Open sores seem to me that they will take a very long time to heal. If anyone could please help me that would be great.
Thank you

Last edited by lilbrick2002; 08-25-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

movingrightalong HB User
Re: just diagnolsed, how long will my first outbreak last??? very painful!

As you've heard, the initial is the worst. It lasts different lengths of time for different people, but the important thing is that it WILL pass. I know that when you're in the middle of an OB it seems like you're never going to be "normal" again, but you will. As soon as your body builds ip enough antibodies to adequately fight this thing when it wants to come out you will be much better off. I'm sorry I can't offer much insight as to how long it will last, but I would bet that it shouldn't be much longer. I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I know that it's such a blow when you first find out, but I promise it gets better. This board is a great source of support and info, so read around on it and you'll find lots of great insight and neat people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

Just remember that stress makes it worse! I know it seems impossible given the severity of the first outbreak, but try to not let it get to you too badly, get enough sleep, and eat right. Chances are that this will be the worst it will ever be.
I also had a severe inital OB, the only other time it was bad was after childbirth. Now, after having had GH for 19 years, I only get a slight OB once or twice a year, and I've never given it to another partner.
After the blisters pop, you will get some crusting over and then heal rather quickly. The pain usually, but not always gets better after the blisters pop. For me, the worst part is the tingling/itching of the inital OB. Everybody is different though.
Hang in there!

Last edited by desertdweller; 08-25-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #4

RegretfulHeart HB User
Exclamation Re: just diagnolsed, how long will my first outbreak last??? very painful!

lilbrick-
hey im posting in response to what ure going through...i was there once also..july 2003 to be exact,and u wanna know whats really bad, and excuse my visual commentary....i couldnt pee, because guess what, since it was so bad, i guess my first herpes outbreak caused me to have a UTI, urinary tract infection, at the same time, which it burned when i peed, so i couldnt pee without holding myself to stand up and take the pain, and i couldnt go number 2 for over a week, and thats really bad for you, so when i did go it was a relief and pain all at the same time, see my first outbreak covered all down there, and back there too, so it was painful to use the bathroom both ways, my first outbreak seemed to last over 2 or 3 weeks, of pure pain, and i couldnt walk i was so weak, and ever since then i havent had another outbreak compared to that...i can tell u id definitely use this board for support and any questions u may have as well, because weve all been through what ure going through and then some. The outbreak youre going through right now, you will never go through again. youre first outbreak is always the most horrible and most painful, and then everytime you have another episode, or outbreak, it will get more and more difficult to tell whether or not youre even having an outbreak...as in you may go symptomless as time passes, cuz its been over a year now ive had to live with herpes, and the only way i can tell if im having an outbreak, is if i see any erupt...my symptoms have gone away, but i remember the first time, and it was sooo very painful, in fact after feeling that, i remember thinking omg this has to be as bad as childbirth...even though, i have absolutely no idea what that feels like, as i have no kids...it is bad now, but take ure meds, and dont touch the area, and be careful around touching other people, cuz right now u r very contagious, so dont have sex, and be careful with your dirty laundry, i hope your family knows, if not u need 2 tell them immediately, so everyone knows how to deal with it...hope all this info helps...and i dont know if any of this is a consilation to you, but after i first got herpes, i gained some weight, cuz i was on birth control at the time, so in case u may be in the same shoes, take heed, and eat healthy...good luck to u, and feel free to post more questions in the future...

Old 08-26-2004, 07:07 AM   #5

mckenzie84 HB User

Hi, I know what youre going through on a much smaller scale. My first outbreak was so painful that i was crying too. I too also got a uti from it. It hurt so much for me that wearing my underwear hurt! I was down in texas and even though it was february the temperature there was staying around 90 degrees. I had to walk everywhere I went and just for me to go see my dr was over a mile away and I was in there pretty often for different reasons. I had a several blisters the first time but now I havent had any in several months. the only ob type thing I have had was the tingling for about a day and then there was nothing. After the first ob though, whenever i did have anather there was only ever 1, maybe 2 blisters, but never more than 3 because I was exptremely careful of that area.
I cant afford the valtrex. for me it's either i have insulin or valtrex. I decided to take my insulin. so I changed the way I eat. I eat healthy now, still eat fast food occasionally, and I take my vitamins every day. "Down there" feels great (except for another prob). I just make sure to wash my hands after touching that area-whether or not theres an ob, and keep my house cleaner, never use the same towel twice, etc. It will get easier and you will find a way that works for you to make yourself more compfortable and to keep the obs down to a minimum.
I'm sorry you are going through it, it will get easier though. *hugz* good luck!

Last edited by mckenzie84; 08-26-2004 at 07:08 AM.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

lilbrick,

I am sorry you're having to go through this. I have GH, too, so I know it's no fun. You just want it to go away, like NOW!!!! Just a couple of tips. Some are no-brainers.

1.Keep yourself clean down there. I recommend letting the shower run down there and all around the infected area to get it good and clean. Pat yourself dry. DON'T RUB! (one of the no-brainers)

2.No thong underwear until you are COMPLETELY AND I MEAN COMPLETELY HEALED!!
(another no brainer) Until then, wear loose fitting panties and pants/shorts.

3.No sex until you are COMPLETELY HEALED!!! (last no brainer-promise)

4.This may sound ghastly, but I get a Q-tip with some alcohol on it and touch it on my blisters. A lot of people may think this is insane (it is) and painful (IT IS!), but it does help kill the bacteria on the blisters and it seems to help mine heal faster. My doctor told me this, and I have read it in numerous places. Note: Use a different Q-tip on each blister.

5.Take your meds RELIGIOUSLY!!! If you think you have cleared up and you still have 3 or 4 pills remaining on that one refill, take them. It won't hurt.

Other than that, just get plenty of rest and don't stress over it b/c it will make it worse. I know it's uncomfortable and painful. But just take it one day at a time. It's not gonna clear up overnight, so just be patient and take care of yourself and follow some of the advice on this thread, and you'll get through it. Like moving said, the first one is always the worse. After this one, you'll be able to detect the symptoms of any future ob's and when you do, START TAKING YOUR MEDS RIGHT AWAY and sometimes you can "catch" it before any blisters come up again. But hopefully you won't have another one. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!! Take care!!

Old 08-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #7

lilbrick2002 HB User

Thanks everyone for writing back so soon. I appreciate it a lot, and a lot of what you all said I can relate to very very much right now. I did end up going back in to my doctors yesterday afternoon, I couldnt wait until friday, it seemed far worse than it did days ago, and I had gotten no information when I went. I was just given valtrex andf told to come back when my culture result was in. My husband and I have a 2 1/2 year old child, we wanted to know if it was contagious, and so mnay more questions. So I went back, and i was there an hour. My culture came back positive , I figured it would. I had all the symptoms. My lymphnodes (spelled wrong..lol) were swollen in my pelvis, i had the tingling feeling in my arms, which I was also scared about, I thought it was a bad side effect of the medicine. But all is better now, mentally wise. My doctor did say I had a pretty bad outbreak, one of the worst she saw, but she had seen worse. I have like 12 blisters and a couple open sores (yuck sorry
she said the valtrex is just a suppressent, it doesnt cure anything. So i have to let this virus run its course. I waited almost 5 days from my first blister to go to the doctor, I had no idea it was herpes, if I had I would have went quicker. She said the virus was already so much formed I guessed you say down there (i dunnoo..lol) that the medicine will just keep it from gettoing worse now. She did say that I had the option to continue valtex forever. I said yes, so when my 10days are up, I go to 1 a day at 1mg I believe. it is all worth it, i will still take my vitamins and eat healthy and hope for the best, its all i can do. I am still in shock, but I feel i have a better understanding of this now, thanks a lot to this board, it has helped so much in such a short time. My doctor did say though for me not to put anything on it at all, just to keep the area clean and dry, she gave me vicodin for the pain and said with future outbreaks i wont need narcotics, just this time because it is real bad and i cant walk well or pee. But are you sure it would be ok to clean with alcohol on a q-tip?? if so i will try it, anything to help them heal faster. Also will the tingling go away??? my doc did say to watch for that in the future, that it is a symptom and when i feel it, it is a sign i will get an outbreak soon, is that true?? sorry i ask a lot of questions. i am new to this and a very worried person
Thank you sooooo much, talk with you all here soon

Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

The best thing i've found to soothe the soreness is garlic oil. Yes, I tried the "clean and dry" routine for a long time (about 12 years) and it didn't help the sores heal faster or feel any better--they felt worse than they do now. Now I can run and hike and do all my normal activities when I have an ob.

Making garlic oil is easy. Cut one or two cloves of garlic (a clove is one section of the head you buy in the produce section of your grocery store) into quarters. Put them in a very small container with a tight-fitting lid (I use the smallest Nalgene bottle from my outdoor outfitter, REI.) pour in enough extra-virgin olive oil to cover. Put on the lid and wait about 2 hours. Then apply gently to sores with a q-tip. This will not burn or hurt, except touching the sores. It will soothe the pain, even while peeing. Garlic is an antiviral and an antibacterial agent. You can keep it right on your bathroom sink with a few q-tips next to it. Just remember to keep the lid on when not using it! After your ob is healed, toss it away. Next time you feel an ob may be coming on, make another batch and start using it right away.

I have also recently experimented with hemp oil salve that I got online. This one has hemp oil, comfrey, and golden seal (plus a few other healing herbs.) It also worked well. It soothed the sores a little less but seemed to heal them a little more quickly than the garlic oil.

Good luck. I'm glad to hear you're feeling a little better.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

backpacker,

I'm gonna try the garlic oil next time. Where did you get that hemp oil salve? I might get some of that as well.

Thanks!
P.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

I'm not allowed to tell you where online, but i just looked for "hemp oil salve" and compared prices of the ones that came up.

Closed Thread