It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #1

Jessicaca HB User
bumps on legs and other places..

I just read someone on the net about bumps on the lower portion of the legs that could be herpes. Does anyone know anything about this??

My son has developed sores similar to the descriptions of herpes sores. Red, raised puss filled sores that are hard and then blister over. He's had them on his calves, behind his ears and on his fingers now too for over two weeks. The pediatrician's nurse couldn't think of anything it could be so I have yet to take him in.

I have herpes and to the best of my knowledge did not pass it on to my son (who is 18months). But now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe he has it somehow.

I have genital (which one is that 1 or 2??) and both my mother and brother have oral. Could he have gotten by being kissed by them?? I thought once he may have had a cold sore on his mouth but pushed that out of my head.

What do you think?? SHould I take him in for blood work??

I'm about ready to call the CDC hotline because I'm starting to worry.

TIA,
Jessica

Old 08-26-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User
Re: bumps on legs and other places..

I think you should take him to his normal pediatrician. I'll bet it's not herpes, but is something that he needs treated!

What have you done? Cleaned the sores with anything? If you like using herbs and can find them somewhere close, buy some comfrey root, put a small amount (like a teaspoon) on a little plate, boil some water, and put a very little of it with the comfrey to make a paste (or very wet lumps of comfrey, if it wasn't ground up finely--that's okay.) It will get kind of gelatinous and sticky. Spread it on the sores, then cover them with a sterile pad held on with 1st aide tape. Then, if you want to, cover them with a heating pad on LOW (only low!) for a little while every so often. Let him sleep with the pads on, then in the morning take them off and wash the area gently with soap and water (or Neutrogena and water if his skin gets dry.) Apply the comfrey every time he's going to take a nap.

If they are infected, as the puss indicates, comfrey will draw out the infection.

This could be bug bites, a bacterial infection, an allergic reaction, yeast, or any number of things. Nurses don't always have the best information. Don't assume it's herpes and so forget to consider the many other conditions children can have!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

movingrightalong HB User

It may be folliculitis. I've had it a few times.... I had TONS of infected hair follicles on my legs, they get raised and red and then they sort of ooze and crust over. It's a mild form of either staph or strep (I think it can be caused by both.)

Old 08-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #4

nsanders HB User
Re: bumps on legs and o***r places..

Have you ever thought *t may be eczema? Eczema bl*sters up *n bad cases research that and ask *** ped*atr*c*an. *f *t *s that ask for ell*del *t w*ll clear *t r*ght up. My s*ster has th*s. Hope *t helps.

N*kk*

Old 08-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #5

Jessicaca HB User

I don't think it's ingrown hair type of things. They are in different spots...ie. his knuckles. It's just very odd, nothing straightforward about it. I know it's not eczema. We have both had it, I know it's not that.

I called the CDC, they have never heard of ob's on the legs. So probably not that. Will take him to the ped if it's not better by Monday.

Now, Why are there letters being left out in the posts?? That makes for some difficult reading!

Last edited by Jessicaca; 08-28-2004 at 07:50 PM.

Closed Thread