It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
(male)

Let It Bleed HB User
Diagnosis: HSV-2 with severe complications

I was hospitalized for a lengthy stay with aseptic viral meningitis this past winter. Prior to developing the meningitis, I had erupted in genital/anal ulcers for about two weeks, as well as come down with a flu-like illness. I was sick, and growing weaker. I counld not use the restroom without agony, and my need to go was growing less and less. Narcotics could not stop the headaches and I slowly became less and less mobile as my vision began to blur. I woke up December 30th and was barely able to move my legs. I was in pain and the fever was soaring. Soaking in night sweats was common. I was taken to the ER in obvious distress, where they noted my pain, and did an MRI, as well as lumbar puncture. I had meningititis and was admitted with antibiotics and morphine. I honestly thought I was going to die. The resident came days later, and lanced one of my lesions, sent it off, and it came back positive for HSV-2. Given the fact I had perianal ulcers, one of the doctors noted in his report that I stated "I got it from my boyfriend" which is not true, my wife was with me. I hate that. I stabilized, but at this point, lost all ability to use the restroom, both my rectum and uretha had completely swollen shut with staph infections. I had my first BM almost a month later, and was sent home with catheters so that I could cath my bladder myself to urinate. I was in pain for months after my release, and it took many weeks before I was able to walk effeiciently again. I never regain my normal vision. As you can see, it was a nightmare. Well, about a month ago, I devloped meningitis-like headaches though not near to the severity that I had before. Vision is getting a little blurred, but it's slowly improving, however, I devloped pain from the lower back down which did no improve. In fact, it has progressed to the need of a walking cane. I also am having a more mild flu-like illness. So the culprit? A couple leisons have surfaced at the upper part of backside. Thankfully they are not around the rectum, though it is red and sensitive in that area and somewhat inflammed. Not many people have shared this type of herpes nightmare. I've taken all the other STD tests. I'm HIV-negative. Can anyone relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User
Re: Diagnosis: HSV-2 with severe complications

That's about the worst herpes story I've ever heard. I really sympathize with you. How are you doing now? You sound so calm and together.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
(male)

Let It Bleed HB User

I'm coping. As we speak I'm trying to rid myself of a unyielding headache. Migraine quality. I've had it for days now. It came on with the new outbreak. My legs are aching and weak, I'm back to using the cane at times when they get too weak. This outbreak can't clear up soon enough. Although my story is rare, and should not be of paticular concern to other's with HSV-2, it's still my story. And the story of other's who contract it and have nasty reactions. It does happen. I was hoping there were other's here who could relate. How is everyone else dealing with theirs? I just remind myself that there's a better day coming. Remember that. Anyone know of any new treatments? Clinical trials? Anything?

Old 08-27-2004, 11:00 PM   #4

internet! HB User

sounds like Stevens Johnson syndrome almost.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:40 PM   #5
(male)

Let It Bleed HB User

Interesting. I was placed on the Glasgow coma scale when I was admitted, but it was on the extreme mild end. I did improve, but it did leave me with lingering effects. It says HSV-2 can be cause of the syndrome. Not trying to jump to conclusions here, but IF my illness was related to the syndrome, can it reoccur? Since herpes is a life-long infection, can SJS come back? Or does it only happen during the intial infection? Thanks.

Closed Thread