It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #1

lifechange HB User
Taking Valtrex...Still Get o/b's & can my boyfriend and I pass it back and forth

Why do I still get o/bs even though I take Valtrex? Is this normal? I have had all the HIV tests and immune tests, I am fine. I just get frustrated taking the meds and still getting ob's.

Also, my boyfriend has herpes also. He has had it for 4 years and takes no medication; he only gets about 2 o/bs a year. I have had it for one year and did not contract it from my current boyfriend. I am on daily supressive Valtrex because I have had a terrible time controlling the outbreaks.

Also, is it possible to transmit each others strain of the virus ? Can we re infect or make our type of herpes worse? We both have type 2 but his is not at all as bad as mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #2

dd381 HB User
Re: Taking Valtrex...Still Get o/b's & can my boyfriend and I pass it back and forth

How long have you had H? Do you want to have sex while you are having an ob? Everyone has different symptoms with H. Myself and 2 other friends got the virus while gang banging a nice girl who gave it to us when we were 18 years old. One of my friends never had another outbreak after his first. The other one still has bad ones 2-3 times a year. I had bad obís for my first 5 years, I havenít had an ob in years due to diet, exercise and a steady sleep schedule. Also dmso and h2o2 helps me a lot. Along with lysine. I guess what I am trying to get across to you is everyone gets different reactions from H. As you can see with the 3 cases I just told you about. Now the girl I see from time to time she still to this day gets several outbreaks a year. Why? Because she is an alcoholic and doesnít take care of herself, and Iím sure she is still spreading it to anyone who wants a piece. Ah how it would be nice to go back in time and not have been the male dog I was

Last edited by dd381; 09-05-2004 at 05:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #3

lifechange HB User
Re: Taking Valtrex...Still Get o/b's & can my boyfriend and I pass it back and forth

I have had H for one year. I had a terrible primary outbreak and had a really hard time controlling it after that. My gyno explained it may be a very aggressive strain of herpes that I contracted ( from my ex fiancee by the way). So I was not only dealing with stress from finding out I had H but I did have a very hard time coming to terms with how I got it.

I would never have sex during an o/b. I drink rarely, the only thing I can think of is that I travel extensively with my job and go through time changes constantly, I feel a lot of jet lag. I am aware of viral shedding, and hence my question about transferring the virus. Thank you for the response and the honesty. I guess it is true what they say....it depends upon the person.

Last edited by lifechange; 09-05-2004 at 06:40 PM.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

I have a question for you guys...You talk about different strains. I didn't know there was a such thing, I thought it was just how different people reacted to the virus. Like if the person you got it from had bad obs does this mean you will too?My husband got this over 20 years ago in college. It was very bad but now it is hardly ever and the obs are very mild. If I were to contract this, would this be a "bad" strain since in the begining he obs were???I'm confused, please help! Thanks~

Old 09-11-2004, 09:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

Still wondering...Anyone know the answer? Thanks!!!

Old 09-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

The thing is that nobody really knows. But there is herpes that responds to Valtrex and herpes that doesn't; herpes that breaks out a lot in people with otherwise healthy immune systems and herpes that doesn't even in people who don't take care of themselves. I think that means there are different strains. Plus, a herpes counsellor once told me that if I didn't need Valtrex, I shouldn't take it, because the more people who take it, the sooner resistent strains would appear.

It's hard to tell about your husband. It may have been hard on him at first because he was in college under stress, or perhaps drinking a lot, etc. Who knows?

If I were you, I'd just make sure he checked himself before having sex, and perhaps I'd ask him if he felt anything weird in his legs or groin, or if he felt tired or depressed at all--that is, unless you are sure he asks himself. Also, make sure you are lubricated well, and keep the friction down as much as possible.

Closed Thread