It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 11:23 PM   #1

1001bubbles HB User
Re-infecting partner with HSV-1

I had a blood test done and it confirmed that i had HSV-1, i dont know if i have it on my facial region or below the waist because i never got any types of sores or blisters. My girlfriend just told me that she has had cold sores in the past, so that confirms that she also has HSV-1.

My question is, if i have genital HSV-1, and she has had oral hsv-1 from childhood, what are the chances of me passing the virus to her genital area thru sexual intercourse? Isnt her body producing agents to fight infections in new locations?

Last but not least, is it possible for her vagina lips to swell after sex because of HSV-1? or do yeast infections cause her labia to swell up?

Old 11-29-2004, 02:03 AM   #2

kem2cdm HB User
Re: Re-infecting partner with HSV-1

I'm not an expert on the genital area, but regardless, if both of you have it there's a way that it can be passed without either of you having symptoms. Since you know she has it around her lips, make sure to wash up after oral sex, and for her sake try not to have sex with her before you clean yourself, because she won't be able to clean her own saliva out of her vagina.

My personal opinion is that you probably have it on your lips and caught it through kissing, because she's probably kissed you far more times than she's performed oral sex. Just keep an eye open for symptoms on her body as well as your own.

As for the viral antibodies and the swelling/yeast infections, I have no idea.

Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

movingrightalong HB User

Approximately 80 percent of the population has antibodies to HSV-1. A lot of those people have never had a cold sore. It just means that at some point you've been exposed. If you have no reason to suspect that you have genital HSV, (have you had any symptoms of it AT ALL? Any suspicious exposure), than you most likely don't have it. If you ever kiss your girlfriend or receive oral sex from her while she has a sore or is shedding the virus, than you will GREATLY increase your chances of having an actual sore. Prior exposure does give you some protection, but you can also fairly easily reinfect another site on someone else or yourself--- all the virus needs is a tiny break in the skin and it will set up shop.
As far as her labia swelling after sex--- is it RIGHT after? becuase the whole vagina swells during sex. If it last hours or days, though, and it hurts her, than she may want to get it checked out. Yeast infections can definitely cause swelling and pain. So can herpes.
I'd say that at this point, if she's had actual Herpes sores (either oral of genital) and you never have, than you're more at risk from getting it from her than vice versa--- just take care not to have contact with her sore when she's having an OB (which includes a few days before and after.)

Old 12-01-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

To shed some light on this: I have genital HSV1 and oral HSV1. I have only ever had one genital HSV1 outbreak, the initial one from my genital infection aged 23. I have had cold sores since I was a child and get 1 or 2 a year.

YES it is possible to reinfect your gf in the genital area - it happened to me!!! BUT I think the risk is MUCH MUCH higher where there is an active sore. I can't give you science but I can tell you my experience.

My previous gf had HSV1, but didn't get cold sores. I did, but we avoided oral sex when I had an OB. We had a lot of oral sex when I didn't have an OB! Neither of us ever had any problems in the genital area.

I met my new gf and she performed oral sex on me whilst a cold sore was on her upper lip. I have to say, I did not see it at the time or I would have protested, bearing in mind how careful I was with my previous gf, I could not believe it when we woke up the next morning and I saw the sore on her lip!! Unfortunately she did not have any idea herpes could be passed on in this way. I forgive her because she's a great person and she made one mistake. Plus, I have only had the one OB which I am sure has helped my positive attitude towards her!!

All those times I had oral sex with another person with HSV1, no problem, but as soon as there was an active sore, I get infected! It's not so bad seeing as I only had the original outbreak as far as I know (I have been checking the area every day for the past year but no problems).

Yeast infections can and do often occur simultaneously with genital herpes outbreaks, so the lips swelling could be neither, either, or both. Best to get it checked out by a doctor if she is concerned.

Closed Thread