It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #1

happy08 HB User
Could I have herpes?

I gave a boy oral sex about a year ago, whom I later found out could possibly have herpes. Would it be possible for me to spread herpes from a sore in my mouth to another partner through oral sex then that partner to my genitals? I have never had an OB, I have only had abdominal pain and abnormal bleeding/periods. I have had a pap smear since then, but I am not sure if a pap smear tests for STDs. Do you think it is possible that I have herpes since it was over a year ago and still no OB?

Old 12-02-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Could I have herpes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy08
I gave a boy oral sex about a year ago, whom I later found out could possibly have herpes. Would it be possible for me to spread herpes from a sore in my mouth to another partner through oral sex then that partner to my genitals? I have never had an OB, I have only had abdominal pain and abnormal bleeding/periods. I have had a pap smear since then, but I am not sure if a pap smear tests for STDs. Do you think it is possible that I have herpes since it was over a year ago and still no OB?
Hi happy.

1. Ok, let's start here: if you had a herpes sore in or on your mouth and then gave someone oral sex, you could give them genital herpes. Most "cold sores" are caused by HSV1 - herpes type 1. A minority are caused by HSV2 (which usually shows up in the genital area).

2. If this happened, it would then be possible for them to pass the virus back to you genitally if you had sex. You would, however, have antibodies against the virus if you had the virus already orally, which would go some way to protecting you from genital infection. One problem could be though if you had only recently got the virus and the antibodies had not had time to build up.

3. However, you don't know whether the boy you gave oral sex to has herpes, so you may be worrying over nothing and the chain of infection you are describing would be relatively unusual. If you are concerned about your stomach & gynae symptoms, I wouldn't say from the sounds of things that it is herpes that you should be worrying about. Abdominal pain and abnormal bleeding & periods are not, as far as I am aware, symptoms of herpes. They may be signs of something else and maybe you should speak to a doctor about them.

4. Pap smears test for signs of changes in cells in the cervix which may indicate problems in that area relating to cervical cancer. A pap smear would not test for herpes. In the absence of an outbreak, to see whether you had herpes, you would need to get a blood test.

5. Yes, you can have contracted herpes a year ago and not have had an outbreak although many people do get an initial outbreak within a couple of weeks of first being infected. Herpes outbreaks don't always take the form of conspicuous sores and can sometimes be very small irritated patches of skin, so it isn't always easy to tell if you are having an OB. Have you had anything like this?

You do sound worried, but from what you are describing there is nothing to indicate herpes just at the moment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread