It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

anna-bananna HB User
what does it look like

Hey all what's up hope every one had a good holiday, man that was late but I just wanted to say hey to every one I wish that we could all sit down and talk.but I guess this will have to do for now. Look the question is that I have been having these pimples just pop up on my legs mostly on my thiigs and sometimes on my calfes (sp) but the question that I have is that sometimses I remember on my face that I used to havs some breakouts but sometimes they were just bumps sometimes pipmles but every time on the legs. My question is that could this be hsv2 for those that know that they have hsv 2 by blood test or something what does it look like it you don;t mind me asking. And is the only difference between HSV1 AND 2 the location??? Like if someone had a feverbister hsv1 and preformed oral sex on someone else would the second preson have hsv2 by definition just because the hsv1 is now in the genital region, or what??? I know that I have been here amillion years but sometimes I am just not sure and wan tto ask someone else about what they think. responses ar welcomed and encouraged.

Anna b

Old 12-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: what does it look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna-bananna
Hey all what's up hope every one had a good holiday, man that was late but I just wanted to say hey to every one I wish that we could all sit down and talk.but I guess this will have to do for now. Look the question is that I have been having these pimples just pop up on my legs mostly on my thiigs and sometimes on my calfes (sp) but the question that I have is that sometimses I remember on my face that I used to havs some breakouts but sometimes they were just bumps sometimes pipmles but every time on the legs. My question is that could this be hsv2 for those that know that they have hsv 2 by blood test or something what does it look like it you don;t mind me asking. And is the only difference between HSV1 AND 2 the location??? Like if someone had a feverbister hsv1 and preformed oral sex on someone else would the second preson have hsv2 by definition just because the hsv1 is now in the genital region, or what??? I know that I have been here amillion years but sometimes I am just not sure and wan tto ask someone else about what they think. responses ar welcomed and encouraged.

Anna b
1. The calves of the legs would be an unusual area for herpes. This and the problems on the thighs could be anything: fungal infection, heat rash, an allergic reaction to the detergent you use on your clothes etc. If the bumps are red and itchy rather than painful and are on the legs, it may be something other than herpes. To be sure, go to the doctor when these bumps are present.

2. The names HSV1 and HSV2 are NOT differentiations between sites of infection, but between the strains of virus. It's in fact important to distinguish between the two different viruses because they can appear in both locations but behave in different ways. A person could have:

- oral HSV1 (reasonably common throughout the world)
- oral HSV2 (rare and unlikely to reoccur after the first outbreak)
- genital HSV2 (a quite common virus)
- genital HSV1

The most frequent outbreaks of the virus would probably be found in someone with genital HSV2, then oral HSV1. This is because HSV2 is a "classically" genital disease and much prefers the genital area. It doesn't seem to do so well in the mouth area. HSV1 prefers the oral area but is increasingly found genitally, and does better for itself there than HSV2 on the mouth. Genital HSV1 would be the combination which should recur third most often. Finally, oral HSV2 is reasonably rare and highly unlikely to recur. Apparently recurrences have been seen in some patients, but it's pretty unusual.

This is just the general pattern. My mother gets a cold sore about once a month, which puts her way above the average for most HSV1 sufferers and means she gets more oral HSV1 outbreaks than the average number of outbreaks for a person with genital HSV2 (which I believe is about 2 to 6 a year). There are also other things which skew the figures: more than 70% of those with genital HSV1 will only have the initial outbreak (so many are infected and don't know it, putting the original OB down to thrush, etc). Most of those with oral HSV1 don't have outbreaks, either. 95% of those with genital HSV2 will get more than outbreak but some have very few outbreaks and many people have very mild outbreaks so they do not think that they have herpes.

Basically: HSV1 and HSV2 are two strains of herpes which can occur on the mouth or genitals, and less frequently, in other areas (I had a friend who got a cold sore pretty much on her nose, and other people can get herpetic whitlow of the fingers and herpes infections of the eye although these are pretty rare) and it's probably a good idea to know exactly what you have and wear you have it so you can look after yourself and take the appropriate precautions with sexual partners. I knew someone who had both oral and genital HSV1. Now, statistically, her boyfriend would be more likely to get HSV1 from being given oral sex by her than by having full sex or genital contact with her, because HSV1, preferring the mouth, is more likely to be contagious from its area of preference, if you see what I mean. So, they were being very fastidious about using condoms when having sex, but not when having oral sex.

This was because "genital herpes" flags up a big warning sign in people's heads and they don't trouble to look at the facts. The risk of the boyfriend acquiring HSV1 from genital sex with his gf when not having an outbreak was significantly lower than for oral sex!! - but they had just thought about the "genital herpes" angle and not the actual risk of infection.

So, it's best to know which strain of the virus you have and where it is located.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread