HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Herpes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/)
-   -   Suppressive valtrex vs. Supressive Famvir (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/241605-suppressive-valtrex-vs-supressive-famvir.html)

ottawaguy 01-12-2005 08:34 AM

Suppressive valtrex vs. Supressive Famvir

Hi,

Has anyone tried both of these drugs suppressively and which one have you had the most success with?

Thanks in advance,

Ottguy

islandgirl 01-14-2005 06:44 AM

Re: Suppressive valtrex vs. Supressive Famvir

I tried both and have had better results with Famvir.

ottawaguy 01-14-2005 01:56 PM

When you say better results do you mean less frequesnt ob's or less intense ones? How often did u get them on valtrex and how has the improvement been on famvir.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my previouis post. As an aside peroxide with dmso works like a charm for my Significant other.

lifechange 01-14-2005 04:43 PM

I found Valtrex is the best supressive for me, but I still get the odd outbreak even though I take it daily. Peroxide is amazing!!

Ornament 01-15-2005 09:41 PM

LifeChange ~
How many milligrams to you take daily? And do you increase your dose - when you feel an ob coming on? Always searching for a solution. Thanx,-ShinyOrnament

WHY1 01-16-2005 08:25 PM

yes i have taken valtrex and have not been w/o an outbreak my doctor tells me valtrex is the strongest is there another that helps supress and what can i do to stop this 3 mo. time frame i also have a rash on face and a herpes bump under my nose the rash w/bumps has not gotten better afraid to go to my doctor because my primary doesn't know but my ob does afraid to go there becuse I'm embarrssed and don't want to seem like a hypercondriact. any suggestions

islandgirl 01-17-2005 06:21 AM

With Famvir, I get less frequent milder ob. Also I don't get the irritated feeling between ob as much either.

lifechange 01-19-2005 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=lifechange]I found Valtrex is the best supressive for me, but I still get the odd outbreak even though I take it daily. Peroxide is amazing!![/QUOTE]

Hi ShinyOrnament,
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I take 1000 mg of Valtrex daily and still, during my period I get outbreaks. I have given up on wondering anymore about this.....I have type 2, and from the moment I got herpes, I had it ''attack'' me. My first outbreak was severe, and it almost stayed that way for 6 months. Who knows, maybe there are more viralent strains of the virus for some of us.

Anyway, I have an o/b now, used the peroxide last night and no more '' blisters''. But, I am trying to deal with herpes as a part of my life, I hate it, but it is here to stay. - Best regards