It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
(female)

SweetOranges HB User
Unhappy extremley scared...herpes or ingrown hair?

ok, i'm going to have to be kinda explicit and straightforward in this post, so bear with me...
About 3 months ago, I found a small bump on my labia, and, thinking it was an ingrown hair, plucked it...a few days later, it got flat and seemed to have pus inside...thinking I didnt get the entire hair, I put hot compresses on it and after about 4 days total it went away. Just a few days ago, this happened to me again, in the exact same spot. I used to shave my genital area and now I have stopped...so I plucked what hairs I thought was causing the problem and again have been using hot compresses. I recently just read however that many people mistake herpes for ingrown hairs...I have always been super responsible about sexual activity and am planning on going to get it checked out tomorrow...i feel like my life is going to be over in the event that i get diagnosed with herpes...
I have had no itching and no burning...on a scale of 1-10 pain level is probably a 4 only when I put pressure on the area....what do you think this is???

Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
(female)

karenscorner HB User
Re: extremley scared...herpes or ingrown hair?

I had that happen long before I was diagnosed with H. the first time I went to the gyn thinking I had a tumor or something and they said it was just an ingrown hair. It happens from time to time, especially in summer with more sweating and tighter clothes. I think your ok, but if it is H your life is NOT over.

H is not a great thing by any means but get perspective. Your life is not over because if a skin condition! your life is over if your dead!

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

What you are describing could be a simple genital pimple; an ingrown hair; a herpes outbreak - or a couple of other things. Reoccurring in the same spot would suggest herpes, but herpes is usually (although not always) uncomfortable in some way - itchy, painful, tingling, sensitive etc.

Let us know how you get on when it's checked out - herpes is not the end of the world but as it's not the greatest thing ever either!! - I hope you don't have it. Keep perspective though: it isn't fatal and it's manageable.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
(female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User

Don't you worry about nothin'.

I used to get big pimples on my labia long before I was diagnosed with Herpes. Seriously - it happens... I even used to just pop them - it felt much better afterwards. But if you do that it could get infected...

Not to get too personal, but when did you have sex prior to your findings of this little pimple? Just curious - I'm sure it's different for everybody, but my outbreak happened the very next day. I mean - vomiting, couldn't walk, pain...the whole nine yards. Just curious is all...

Old 01-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

SweetOranges HB User
Unhappy Re: extremley scared...herpes or ingrown hair?

Well I just got back from the doc and I have herpes...so Im about to drink myself silly...almost killed myself 3 times on the way home cos I was speeding. I saw it coming, I really did...I always assume the worst and it always turns out to be true. I seriously feel like my life is going to be over...I feel like my entire female anatomy is null and void now...my bf is ok with it, hes being very supportive(he wants to marry me someday and he was saying that since he's never going to have sex with anyone else having herpes doesnt matter even if he probably gets it), but I feel like I can never love myself again. This is going to destroy me...but thank you guys for your optimism...wish it rubbed off on me

Old 01-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOranges
Well I just got back from the doc and I have herpes...so Im about to drink myself silly...almost killed myself 3 times on the way home cos I was speeding. I saw it coming, I really did...I always assume the worst and it always turns out to be true. I seriously feel like my life is going to be over...I feel like my entire female anatomy is null and void now...my bf is ok with it, hes being very supportive(he wants to marry me someday and he was saying that since he's never going to have sex with anyone else having herpes doesnt matter even if he probably gets it), but I feel like I can never love myself again. This is going to destroy me...but thank you guys for your optimism...wish it rubbed off on me
How did your doctor diagnose you? It's not possible to do this just by looking at the problem you have - you would need to have the sore (if it is a sore) swabbed and come back positive for herpes, or else have a blood test.

Hang in there!!

Old 01-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
(female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker24
How did your doctor diagnose you? It's not possible to do this just by looking at the problem you have - you would need to have the sore (if it is a sore) swabbed and come back positive for herpes, or else have a blood test.

Hang in there!!

YES! Listen to Beaker24!! I know this may be my optimism getting carried away again, but the 1st doctor I saw was HORRIBLE. I only explained the symptoms and she IMMEDIATELY diagnosed me without having ever examined me. I guess my symptoms were pretty extreme then....but YOUR symptoms don't sound ANYTHING compared to mine 2 years ago.

And even if you do have herpes, trust me - it's ok. Really! Life really will get better....it took me about month to come to terms with it, but you very well may be one of the few lucky ones (like me) that get outbreaks once or twice a year - and even then they're not a huge deal and go away after 3 days. In my opinion yeast infections are worse.

Please don't do anything bad, or think any less of yourself. Your boyfriend is caring and loves you - he's willing to be with you for the rest of his life! What's a few outbreaks here and there? A minor nuisance, nothing more.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
(male)

zorba HB User

SweetO,
I'm with the rest of the group here. Hang in there kiddo. I hope we hear back from you soon so we know you're okay.

Get a second opinion if you weren't tested (i.e. blood or swab). Don't rely on a doctor's diagnosis alone.

Take Care.

Last edited by zorba; 01-13-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
(female)

SweetOranges HB User

My doc diagnosed me when she looked at me...basically after listening to my explanation of symptoms,she examined it and said that she would basically go to court and vouch for it 99% surely being herpes...she then gave me the swab test(which hurt ridiculously bad I might add) and my definite results will be back in 3 days or so...she also gave me 4 days worth of valtrex to help and some other drug for a years worth of suppressive therapy...forgot the name...

Old 01-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
(male)

zorba HB User

Sweet,
Just wait for the test results before you worry too much. There's still a slight chance she's wrong. However, if it is indeed positive, then hopefully it's just type 1 which is generally more mild. Finally, worst case scenario is type 2 which is still manageable.

Good Luck and come back here for support.

Last edited by zorba; 01-13-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:36 AM   #11
(female)

islandgirl HB User

SweetOranges: Sorry to hear that you have H. I know you're feeling like it's all over for you, but it isn't. While it could be really uncomfortable and sometimes downright painful, it does get better with time. I've had it for four years now. And yes, you do feel dirty and worthless and like you got the short end of the stick. You begin to look at everyone else and think you are the only one with H. But there are so many others that have it and don't talk about it. I had almost constant ob the first 2-3 years. But now, the ob are much milder and not as constant. A big plus is that your bf is understanding and willing to deal with it. H is minor compared to others things that can happen to you. So keep your head high and trust that God will see you through. You will be okay. You will!

Old 01-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

SweetO's--if your dr just looked at it, he/she cannot be certain it's herpes. I hope he took a culture? If not, go get one right away. Several drs I have known have told me that many different conditions can appear to be herpes, and that some drs jump to conclusions.

Please read the "Happy Couples" thread just bumped up--it will make you feel better, and it has info in it (read the whole thing, even though it's very long) that will help you protect your partner if indeed this is herpes.

And if this is herpes, give yourself a chance. You're in shock now. All of us on this board have felt this same shock and grief. But you will get over that and learn to accept the virus. You will learn that you are okay, your body is okay, your life will be okay. I've had herpes about 15 years, and in those 15 years I've had 2 babies, gotten a divorce (not related to herpes), met my soulmate and lived with him for 11 years (and we've been together about 13, without him getting h), homeschooled my 4 boys, one who would be in 12th grade now, drawn and painted and (guess what) backpacked a whole lot--etc etc etc. I can't imagine what herpes may have kept me from, except sex sometimes. But we learned to cuddle and talk and laugh together at those times. Really--you will be okay. Be patient and give yourself time. And get a culture! I hope all my eloquence is wasted!

Old 01-14-2005, 06:57 PM   #13
(female)

GvilleGirl HB User
Talking Re: extremley scared...herpes or ingrown hair?

It's not that bad. Ive had it ever since I was 17, 2 days after I graduated high school. My bf totally denied he gave it to me, but it's obvious when he has a cold sore on his lip when I told him, lol. I have HSV1 from it and Ive only had the initial outbreak 20 months ago. I don't take meds. When I first got it I was totally depressed. I cried all the time, wouldn't date, I even decided not to go away to school which is what I always wanted to do. I eventually realized that this can't take over my life, it's a small bump in the road. Im fine with having it now, Im in a new relationship, and went away to school a year ago. I hope things work out for you!

Closed Thread