It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User
Herpes from protected sex?

I am concerned, about three weeks after protected sex I got a couple of small pimple looking lession on the base of my penis...they did not hurt at all and they went away after like 2 days. I went in for a complete STD check up and told the nurse about it and she wasnt sure. She did find that the very tip of my penis was a bit irritated and looked like a head might be forming...I never noticed this and it also it painless. From what I have researched and read herpes it quite painful and lasts like around 3 weeks or something per breakout. All of these have gone away after a couple of days. She thinks thatt it could possibly be herpes but could not tell..IM thinking maybe something else. It is possible to get something from someone jsut by lying in bed naked with them? I just dont know how I could of got it...anyways I am going back next week for a followup and probably will test myself for herpes. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
(female)

GvilleGirl HB User
Re: Herpes from protected sex?

You really couldn't get something from laying in bed with her. Take it if she was all over the bed, and the sheets were hot and sweaty afterwards there could be a chance the virus could hide. If you didn't know this, you can get herpes from having protected sex. It's a skin condition, not by bodily fluids. It's from skin to skin contact, but since you did use condoms I believe you would only be affected where the condoms don't cover, so the head of your penis wouldn't show any symptoms.
Im not a 100% positive but pretty close

Last edited by GvilleGirl; 01-27-2005 at 09:43 PM. Reason: grammer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

Erg I was under the assumption that condoms protected from everything...guess I need to be more aware...blasted sex is so scary now, I really hope I didnt get it but I could deal with it if I had too..

Old 01-27-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

BTW the head didnt have anything at first...I noticed 2 small pimple looking things at the base of my penis at first probaly 2 weeks after then the redness at the head was like a week after. I think maybe it could be molloscum or something? I have looked at all the pics and nothing looks like what I have seen..but I guess I could have a very mild case or something?

Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

At which stage did the nurse see the pimply things you mention? wasn't she able to swab them so that they could get a culture done?

If you read through the posts on this board you will see that so many people have herpes which doesn't look like the typical herpes pics on the net. While i was waiting for my tests i went to my gp for a second opinion and he said "it doesn't look like herpes". I got my tests back a few days later and i tested positive for type 2. My outbreak occured right at my anal area and no, we never had anal sex. He wore a condom too.

GvilleGirl is right, it's a skin to skin virus. This is likely why i got my ob at the anal area b/c for some reason that likely provided the perfect environment for it to either enter my body or to break out on. This is why it's important to get a swab done of your sores before they dry up. You may have worn a condom, but if you do now have herpes, maybe it took a preference to ob where you are getting these pimply type sores now. Regardless of the condom, it is said that it is possible for the herpes to ob anywhere in the region which a pair of boxer shorts would cover.

Hope i haven't scared you unecessarily, but until somebody does a swab or a blood test then you aren't going to know 100% what it is.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

One of the unfortunate mistruths is that condoms protect from everything. They protect to a great extent to diseases passed on via bodily fluids - HIV would be a great example. Use a condom properly and you dramatically reduce your chances of contracting HIV. But as has been pointed out, herpes and HPV are transmitted by skin to skin contact and it's not at all rare for them to be passed on during protected sex. This fact, as well as the fact they are incurable, make them far and away the most common sexually transmitted infections in the USA & also in the UK where I am from.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

Well, besides, reducing the chances of transmission (such as with HIV) is not the same as being totally protected. There is always a possibility of getting any STD, condom or no.

Once the virus has infected you and has set up camp in the nerve ganglia at the base of your spine (for genital herpes), it usually follows the same pathway out when it becomes activated, making the ob's at about the same site. However, sometimes it can get sidetracked and come down a different pathway. This would be on the same side of the body and below the waist, but not necessarily within an inch or so of the previous ob. So you could get infected at the base of your penis, and then have another ob at the head. This is not to say you have herpes. I'm just saying that it's possible.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker
Well, besides, reducing the chances of transmission (such as with HIV) is not the same as being totally protected. There is always a possibility of getting any STD, condom or no.
You're right.

It doesn't help where there is misinformation. I recently had a look through one of my friend's books which was written by a sex "expert". She claimed that if you had a herpes sore, so long as you were wearing a condom and this covered the area of the sore itself, then this provided - and I quote - "100%" protection from acquiring the virus. Now as we know, condoms provide nowhere near 100% protection from herpes, even when someone is asymptomatically shedding. And having sex when you have an outbreak - I mean, hello!?

I guess I should write to the author and tell her how seriously wrong she is! I don't think people should panic over herpes but I think they should know the facts so they can best protect themselves.

Last edited by beaker24; 01-30-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Closed Thread