It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User
Lightbulb "Knowledge of Herpes"

To: All Posters,
I'm just wondering how many people out there knew about the effects of the herpes virus, prior to contracting it? I for one, knew nothing.... Basically, checking to see how educated "this society" is regarding HSV-1 & HSV-@?????? Anyone, please share your thoughts??????
Thanx in advance for your replies, -Shinyornament

Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
(female)

idunno78 HB User
Re: "Knowledge of Herpes"

I'm going to admit, I was dumb as a brick prior to contracting "H" I believe it's due to the age at which I contracted H (at 15), lack of available information and education. Also, I never knew there were symptoms ranging from classical to very mild or unoticable. Lack of knowledge of symptoms also played a part of contracting "H". My now ex-bf thought the knick on his love stick was from getting it caught in his zipper. One day it was just there and like that it was gone. It happened once and so we never really pay it any mind. Back in the early 90's, I never heard much about it, only that it existed. I think further education is needed in schools. However, I think that teaching should come from educational speakers (eg planned parenthood) I'm in nursing school and the teachers are just drilling in that negative stigma .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
(female)

beakums HB User

I knew not a thing about it. I just used to always see the Valtrex commercials on TV and knew that 1 in 5 people had it... never thought I would be that one in five. Since I found out last wednesday, I have learned so much information on the subject. Someone really needs to do a better job educating young people about GH and inform them just how easily it can be contracted. I feel so stupid for not knowing about getting it through cold sores & oral sex. Grr..

Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ornament HB User

idunno78 & beakums ~
Thank you both, for responding. Your posts are exactly, what I expected. It's a shame that society, doesn't do a better job of educating it's people. One would think between the educators and medical professionals, the public would be more alert to STD's in general. idunno78 - I liked your idea of educational speakers, ielanned parenthood, clinics, etc. There should be some type of program in place, in association with the school's sex ed. classes, to better educate it's students or to at least "raise the level of awareness", throughout the general public (instead of Valtrex commericals). I really don't believe it's lack of knowledge at a young age, because I was 39yrs. old - when I contracted this virus. And until I started searching on the internet for comparisions to my symptons, thru pictures...I didn't have a clue that it was herpes. beakums ~ you're also right, I bet most people, who have had cold sores, do not even realize it's HSV-1, let alone that that it is transfereable thru oral sex. It seems that society promotes condoms as a way to prevent STD's, but they should explain that herpes is the exception and can be transmitted with a condom. This subject just floors me, people - who are ready for sexual experimentation, need to be educated, along with the rest of the public.
Thanks for letting me rant.....Perhaps, with time, this will change....-ShinyOrn
P.S. Who anyone else, like to chime in?

Last edited by Ornament; 02-10-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

movingrightalong HB User

I knew a lot. Knew the stats, knew that most people who had it didn't know. I asked a gyno if I should have a prospective partner tested and she said "no--- becuase almost everyone comes up positive for herpes antibodies and it's not going to tell you much. If he's not had symptoms, then you're probably fine". I understood it all and... well.... here I am! I've always been facinated by STDs and read up on all of them and would inform my friends about the lesser-known facts and how to protect themselves....especially herpes, condoms don't necessarily protect you, blah blah blah. Yes, I was pretty darn informed. Once I got it, though, I had no idea for about a year that it was herpes. I would get a rash on my right butt cheek, a line of bumps that itched and looked like poison ivy, 2 days after I started up my birthcontrol pills after every period. It all started to seem a little odd and one day I was looking up the difference between herpes and impetigo (for my boyfriend-- not the one who gave me herpes, but the one I'm still with 2 years later) and I was like "um--- honey, I'm not sure if the owie on your lip is herpes or impetigo (a doctor had diagnosed it as impetigo a year prior, but it came back a few times and was suspicious)---"but I think I have something".
Anyhoo.... that's my story in a nutshell. I was pretty darn informed and STILL became a member of this club. I was careful and had VERY few partners for this exact reason, I was a STD-phobe--- just goes to show ya what a tricky little devil it is!
peace out
mra

Old 02-11-2005, 07:56 AM   #6

kierstyn_04 HB User

I didnt know anything. I had heard it mentioned, but I even had to ask what it really was, symptoms etc. When I got it, and the dr told me, I just sat there stunned. That seems ot be when you get the education on H, at the dr's office when you are diagnosed. Im with you , there needs to be more info. I think herpes should be in the group of test automatically and should be made as well known as any other std!

Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
(female)

FitChic HB User

truthfully, i didnt know much............we learned about STDs in Health Class and all...........but i was so naive.....i knew of one girl that had it but she slept with everyone in sight.........and i believed everyone that had Herpes were "dirty"........never ever in a million years would i think that one day i would contract it................well that day came........and my vision and outlook on herpes has totally changed since then!

Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

I thought you couldn't transmit it when there wasn't anything visible, and that it was only genital and couldn't appear elsewhere (didn't know about cold sores.) But then, that was almost 20 years ago (when I learned the guy I was dating at the time had it--the guy I later married and divorced), when nobody had ever heard about viral shedding. The level of knowledge has not improved a bit, maybe has even gone down, since everybody knew that condoms didn't protect you from it, and now, since the AIDS advertisement blitz, everyone seems to think they do.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:52 PM   #9

kierstyn_04 HB User

Backpacker . . not to go off the subject, but on your last post you said condoms dont protect you from it. That confuses me because as far as I knew it did as long as it was covering the area where you would / could be having the OB. Am I mistaken? Are condoms of no use what so ever against herpes at all?

Old 02-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
(female)

jNM0 HB User

i learned about all the std's in school but i didn't pat to much attention because i wasn't having se then and didn't plan on it either. Now i wish i would have payed attention because im new to this whole thing and have so many questions that i don't think the list will ever get short

Old 02-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
(male)

zorba HB User

This was a good question shinyornament,

I'm pretty much with the rest of the group here. I knew about it superficially but not in detail. Like backpacker, I thought it only occurred on the genitals and that it was passed soley from unprotected intercourse.

It's weird because I think everyone here has heard a herpes joke prior to contracting it, yet who would've thought that you'd end up catching it too.

I never realized until it was too late that cold sores were herpes and that it was contagious by kissing. I thought cold sores were just like pimples but on the lips. In fact, I always thought kissing was completely harmless; so much for the song "a kiss is just a kiss..." (not anymore).

One thing I've found out is that many people mistakenly believe herpes is just like some of the other "curable" STD's like syphillis or chlamydia if caught early. I agree with you that the public needs to be better informed about herpes; especially cold sores since most consider them harmless.

Last edited by zorba; 02-12-2005 at 11:57 PM.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I didn't know anything much about it and never did any research until i found out my partner had it, yet even then didn't research it 100% as i thought he would know all about it.

Firstly at high school we weren't educated much on std's around that time (in early 80's) and aids was the thing which everybody talked about and how the only safe sex was with a condom. So when it came to herpes, i thought it just required a condom. Boy was i wrong!!

I would get the odd cold sore on my mouth, but wouldn't kiss or do oral at that time, but as i was later told by a medical person at the sex clinic, that even when there is no visible cold sore i could have passed type one onto a partner. I always thought you could only pass herpes 1 or 2 on if there was a visible ob.

Oh yeah, i also thought herpes was just herpes, not realising about 1 & 2.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

kierstyn, evidently when you have an ob, or before and after an ob, or (arguably) sometimes when you are not having an ob, you will shed the virus around the area. There are several people online here who have gotten h while using a condom. I would think in some ways it could help protect a person somewhat, but not nearly totally. My feeling about condoms is that they increase the "tearing" in a sensitive person like me (because of the friction involved in all intercourse) and so can actually increase the chances in some people, more likely females. Also, many people have ob's that are in an area not covered at all by condoms, like my ex--he gets his at the base of his penis. Or used to; I don't know any more!

Closed Thread