It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

sdl121 HB User
Blood Test vs. Swab Culture

ohhh, I'm still going through the ongoing battle of "do I have it or not?" My doctor didn't take a swab or anything, just said from the little bumps she saw that it was herpes. Now I want to be sure, so should I go get a blood test done? Or is it more conclusive to wait and see if the bumps come back and have a swab test done? I read somewhere online that a blood test would tell you if you've been exposed to the virus, but not if you actually have it? Isn't that the same thing or am I missing something?

Old 02-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

elleemann HB User
Re: Blood Test vs. Swab Culture

My doc said the best was the swab. But with the blood test you can find out if it's HS1 or HS2. He didn't even want to bother with a blood test; just took the swab and 10 days later said, "yep. You have it"! I wouldn't trust just a visual exam to say that you have it! Maybe a blood test so that you don't have to wait for another OB to do the swab. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
(male)

Greentreesquid HB User

what if you never have a visible outbreak. only burning?

Old 02-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

sdl121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleemann
My doc said the best was the swab. But with the blood test you can find out if it's HS1 or HS2. He didn't even want to bother with a blood test; just took the swab and 10 days later said, "yep. You have it"! I wouldn't trust just a visual exam to say that you have it! Maybe a blood test so that you don't have to wait for another OB to do the swab. Good luck!!

I called the Planned Parenthood here today and she said they dont do it there, but there is a test that will determine if its type 1 or 2. The problem is finding some place that does this test!! Planned parenthood referred me to the health department, and they won't answer the phone or return my calls. Its very expensive through my doctors office so I'm trying to avoid that, but wouldn't you think people would want people to go get tested? I'm just shocked thats its turning out to be this hard.

I think I am going to get the blood test though, I really don't want to wait around for an outbreak? What if I never have one again you know?

But thanks for the advice and support. This group is great!!

Closed Thread