It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

Greentreesquid HB User
Is it possible to have the virus but not have visible symptoms.

Alright. I am constently having a burning sensation on my penis, but i never have any visible symptoms. and i never have had them.. Im a very paranoid person. so the very first time i ever had any type of pain.. I assumed it was herpes. so i checked and checked. no redness. no dry looking skin.. no small cracks in the skin.. nothing. and i have had some really sever burning. but never anything even remotly visible. so.. my question. is it possible to be infected with the virus, but never even once get the visible symptoms but just to get the feeling of them?

Old 02-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User
Re: Is it possible to have the virus but not have visible symptoms.

Yes, or not to even get symptoms. This disease is really weird.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

GvilleGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker
Yes, or not to even get symptoms. This disease is really weird.
You mean CONDITION?

Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think of something caused by a virus as a disease. Like a cold, or chicken pox, or polio. Having a disease isn't humiliating. It's natural--everyone gets them. We just have this one. And we will get other diseases in life, too. Diabetes, to me, is a condition--it is not caused by a microorganism. (Actually, a virus is nonliving, so it is not technically a microorganism.)

Old 02-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
(female)

Winter Ivy HB User

So someone with cystic fibrosis doesn't have a disease, but a healthy carrier of the flu does?

Most of the medical professionals I know would beg to differ. I've noticed that the break down in medicine is between diseases, which are viewed as having identifiable causes whether environmental, bacterial, viral, or genetic, and syndromes, which are a collection of symptoms with no single identifiable cause. (Someone wrote a great paper a while back about how this accounts for the shift from GRID to AIDS to HIV/AIDS.) If nothing else, your distinction doesn't adequately account for the millions of healthy carriers of certain virii and bacteria. And let's not forget, most of us are healthy herpes carriers -- it's why we only get cold sores when our immune systems are compromised.

Ivy

Last edited by Winter Ivy; 02-11-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wasn't trying to be technical. I was trying to say that the word disease is not pejorative and does not imply, as many people here think, that we are spoiled, dirty, useless, etc etc etc. We have a disease that affects us in some ways but not in most ways. That's not the best that could be, but it doesn't mean anything bad about us as people. I was trying to say that using the word "condition" doesn't change what we have or that it is contagious, and that we are still very good and wonderful people whether you call it a condition or a disease.

My Webster's says that a disease is "an impairment of the normal state of the living animal or plant body or any of it's components that interrupts or modifies the performance of the vital functions, being a response to environmental factors (as malnutrition, industrial hazards, or climate), to specific infective agents (as worms, bacteria, or viruses), to inherent defects of the organism (as various genetic anomalies), or to combinations of these factors." So you're right, Ivy; the broader definition is correct. But my whole point was, we have a disease, and there's nothing to be ashamed of, any more than being malnutritioned because you live in Ethiopia during a drought, or were irradiated after the dropping of the Bomb in Japan, or have a cold. But if calling it a condition makes you feel better, gvillegirl, go for it! Just understand why I call it a disease, and I'm not putting us down with that term.

Closed Thread