HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Herpes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/)
-   -   Shedding??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/252049-shedding.html)

kierstyn_04 02-11-2005 07:41 AM

Shedding???

I am curious to know what everyone knows about Asymptomatic shedding or shedding, not sure the name of it. I have one friend who also has H and she said that her and her husband have been having sex for 3 years and she still has not passed it to him, they just simply avoid sex durring an OB. She seems to think that if you have OB and you know your symptoms of a OB, that you dont shed like someone who doesnt get OB and doesnt know or have symptoms of a OB. So I am curious what everyone thinks about shedding. My dr says you shed the day before the OB or as soon as symptoms start, durring the OB and about a day or two after the OB has cleared up, you should be fine. Has anyone heard anything different? Any info is appreciated.

unlucky_guy 02-11-2005 10:16 AM

Re: Shedding???

[QUOTE=kierstyn_04]I am curious to know what everyone knows about Asymptomatic shedding or shedding, not sure the name of it. I have one friend who also has H and she said that her and her husband have been having sex for 3 years and she still has not passed it to him, they just simply avoid sex durring an OB. She seems to think that if you have OB and you know your symptoms of a OB, that you dont shed like someone who doesnt get OB and doesnt know or have symptoms of a OB. So I am curious what everyone thinks about shedding. My dr says you shed the day before the OB or as soon as symptoms start, durring the OB and about a day or two after the OB has cleared up, you should be fine. Has anyone heard anything different? Any info is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Thats not exactly true. Practically everyone sheds the virus asymptotically. And the rule of thumb is the more outbreaks you have, the more frequently you are probably shedding the virus. In general, though, the virus is shed asymptotically around 5-8% of the time...meaning in a given year, you shed the virus asymptotically between 18 and 30 days.

internet! 02-12-2005 12:36 AM

its blown astronomically out of proportion. Ive had oral sex and sex since getting it and have never passed it on.

I think probably whos most responsible for the spread of it is people who get it, never have a really obvious outbreak, notice little itches they dont think anything of, and bam. Shedding also tends to be the greatest in the first year of infection. It really depends on who you ask...some studies say only a portion of the population sheds while others say everyone does at one time or another. For years couples have managed to avoid passing on coldsores/genital herpes to their partners by simply avoiding sex when they had sores and its worked...thats how people did it prior to any evidence of asymptomatic shedding. If shedding was as commonplace as some reports and sites let on, the number of people who have the virus would be somewhere closer to 50-75% than it would be 20-25%.

lbp35 02-12-2005 06:45 AM

I agree! When I talked to a lady on the h hotline she said the same thing! It is more likely to happen in the first 2 years of getting it. I told her my hubby has had it for 20 years & she said he probably isn't shedding at all(except maybe just prior to an ob).I think it is overrated also, people are probably having a very mild ob & don't know it instead of shedding! :)

kierstyn_04 02-12-2005 08:42 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who wrote. Sometimes we just need a little reassurance, granted I know nothing is 100%, but you've gotta agree some of the sites on the internet are so negitive and so depressing and make me feel like I have the plague. I just want to do whats right and I think I agree with what you guys said. I have had this for about 4 years now I get am OB anout every other month sometimes longer, but now I am on supressive so like every 4-6 months Ill get one. Thank you so much for writing.