It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #1

testsr HB User
Possible To Give Herpes To Own Genitals?

Here's an interesting question. I did look through dozens of threads but was not able to find an answer. If I have an outbreak of oral herpes (HSV-1) and I makeout (lots of kissing) with a girl (who, let's say also has HSV-1 since 50-80% of people have it) and then she performs oral sex on me (but does not currently have an outbreak) is it possible to transmit my own exact strain of HSV-1 to my genitals. Or am I then immune? I'm going out with a girl this weekend. Who knows what it will lead to. We definently will not have sex and I will not go down on her (since I have a non-visable outbreak) but my fear is if I kiss her and then she later goes down on me.

Last edited by testsr; 02-11-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Possible To Give Herpes To Own Genitals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsr
Here's an interesting question. I did look through dozens of threads but was not able to find an answer. If I have an outbreak of oral herpes (HSV-1) and I makeout (lots of kissing) with a girl (who, let's say also has HSV-1 since 50-80% of people have it) and then she performs oral sex on me (but does not currently have an outbreak) is it possible to transmit my own exact strain of HSV-1 to my genitals. Or am I then immune? I'm going out with a girl this weekend. Who knows what it will lead to. We definently will not have sex and I will not go down on her (since I have a non-visable outbreak) but my fear is if I kiss her and then she later goes down on me.
You're not 100% immune from reinfection with genital HSV1. I got genital HSV1 despite having oral HSV1, but that was from a person's active cold sore and I guess they could have had a slightly different strain of HSV1, so my antibodies may not have helped in the face of the heavy dose of virus and slightly different strain to my own.

Your antibodies will largely protect you from asymptomatic shedding - if someone goes down on you when they don't have a cold sore. However in the situation you describe, I would say that there is a small risk of reinfection because an ACTIVE SORE is involved. You really have to stay away from those active sores, because they are the biggest risk. I would think the chances of reinfection in the way you describe are reasonably small, but I think it's possible and I did read on another messageboard where someone claimed to have known someone who got genital herpes that way.

I don't know how true that is - but I do think it would be wisest to avoid oral sex (giving or receiving) when you have a cold sore. I mean, is a blow job really worth the worry!! To be on the safe side, I would not have oral sex if I were you, just in case, until after your outbreak has healed.

Last edited by beaker24; 02-17-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread