It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

snowbunny10 HB User
Question about down there

I would some advice from anyone please. About a month ago I started having a little sensation in my labia, more like a pulsating sensation, then it went to involuntary contractions of my vagina that I just can't seem to help. Now I don't have hardly any vaginal discharge and it doesn't really smell like anything. I've also been just diagnosed with severe depression and I'm on medication for that, but I'm kinda nervous because I did come in contact with someone who said they had herpes.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Question about down there

Hi there.

My inital herpes outbreak, I had very severe tingling in my genital area, including what felt like "jumping" movements in my vagina. However, at the same time, I also had a yeast infection which was very badly irritating me. I don't know whether the herpes or the yeast infection caused these strange and unpleasant vaginal sensations. Have you ever had a yeast infection or been treated for one of these?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
(female)

snowbunny10 HB User

I think I've had a yeast infection before, but I'm not sure. What can happen if herpes goes untreated for a while? How long after these symptoms start do the blisters appear? By the way, thanks for responding so quick.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny10
I think I've had a yeast infection before, but I'm not sure. What can happen if herpes goes untreated for a while? How long after these symptoms start do the blisters appear? By the way, thanks for responding so quick.
Well, the thing about herpes is that you don't "treat" it the way you would chlamydia or other infections which can be cleared up and cured. The main thing with herpes is to control the severity of the symptoms. Suppressive therapy should cut the number, frequency and severity of outbreaks.

Some people get very minor symptoms, and this means that they don't need any particular treatment, although it is advisable for them to take suppressive therapy if with an uninfected partner, to reduce the chances of them passing the virus on (as therapy also cuts the incidence of "asymptomatic shedding" - being contagious whilst having no symptoms - sex during outbreaks being a definite no-no).

So, the only thing that would happen if herpes went untreated for a while is that you may be experiencing more severe symptoms or be more likely to pass the virus onto others. It won't do you any more long-term harm, or good, than if you had had treatment, as herpes does not have the effects of some other STDs. Its major problem is the sores and irritation it causes and the risk of passing these onto others. If a woman has an active herpes sore at the time of childbirth, the child can be affected, but this is not usually a danger because a C-section can be carried out. Other than this, herpes's main effect is the fact it is so annoying and painful sometimes! It does not affect fertility as chlamydia does, nor is it potentially fatal like HIV, syphilis (which is fatal in very extreme untreated cases) etc.

You may be having "prodromal" symptoms, where people experience tingling or itchiness, burning, uncomfortable sensations etc, prior to an outbreak appearing. It's worth noting not everyone gets these symptoms, and not everyone who gets them goes on to have an outbreak. If they do, it may not manifest itself as the classic painful blister, but can appear as a bump, lump, similar to a pimple, cut, rough patch of skin, similar to an animal bite, etc etc etc. Everyone is different. However, for most people, if they have the prodromal symptoms, a herpes outbreak will often follow within a couple of days, sometimes less. I have oral as well as genital herpes and my oral prodromal symptoms last only about ten minutes these days and sometimes less! A bit of itchiness and then the blister appears almost immediately.

There are, as I am sure you know, plenty of gynae problems affecting women and what you are describing could be a lot of things apart from herpes. Before I ever got herpes I used to get shooting pains in my vagina from time to time, I never worked out what they were. Have you spoken to your doctor about your vaginal symptoms?

Old 02-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
(female)

snowbunny10 HB User

Thanks for the reply again. I haven't spoken to my doctor, but I just had a papsmear and everything was fine, and I just got my test for all my STDs back and HIV, it was fine, and I don't have cervical cancer. I just haven't asked about the herpes, but I have an appointment for tomorrow to get tested for it. It's just been so hard because for the past month and a half I've had depression so severe that I've been so out of it and so numb to everything...I'm on topamax, zoloft and ativan.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

It's good that you're being checked out. One of the problems is that a lot of women think that if their pap smear is clear, they don't have any STDs. Also, a lot of people don't realise that the standard STD screening does not include herpes, you have to ask for it specially - so it's a good thing you are being tested, you may get closer to finding out what is affecting you.

I live in the UK and herpes is in fact rarely mentioned over here, everyone seems to be preoccupied with chlamydia (because it causes infertility if untreated) or HIV (which of course is a very scary virus). Whilst HIV is concerning because it is fatal, HIV infections in Britain are lower than 0.5%, and chlamydia is eminently treatable, especially in the early stages. HPV is also a concern although for most people this causes no problems and is present in up to 80% of the sexually active population which means in my view it is not something to get unduly concerned about unless it is causing warts or pre-cancerous cells. I wish they would have a more balanced STD education programme setting out the risks of different STDs and how they can be acquired (a lot of people still think condoms protect from everything- they're a major help against HIV but not particularly effective with HPV or herpes).

Our levels of HSV1 are the same as the US (possibly slightly higher) whereas our levels of HSV2 are somewhat lower, but still sizeable (probably 10-15% as compared with 17-25% in the US). I wish there was more education about it!

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
(female)

snowbunny10 HB User

Thanks again. Do you think my depression could be causing my change in vaginal discharge? I went for a swab today and he didn't see anything out of the ordinary but I don't get the results back for two weeks. Can herpes cause light sensitivity?

Old 02-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny10
Thanks again. Do you think my depression could be causing my change in vaginal discharge? I went for a swab today and he didn't see anything out of the ordinary but I don't get the results back for two weeks. Can herpes cause light sensitivity?
Light sensitivity? - do you mean sensitivity to light? I don't think so, I haven't heard that before.

I am not sure about depression and changes in vaginal discharge but vaginal discharge changes can occur for so many reasons!! Discharge is not particularly indicative of herpes although problems causing discharge can often occur at the same time as herpes outbreaks or symptoms.

Closed Thread