It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
(male)

fixme HB User
Im so confused...

Okay so I get cold sores. I got them before I even engaged in any type of sexual activity at all (when I was 15 or 16). I am 18 and am sexually active I have never had sex without using a condom.

I am just curious if you get cold sores on your lips does that automatically mean you have oral herpes? so I can never engage in oral sex? or can I safely when i have no outbreak? I think i have maybe had about 3 cold sores in my life and I have one now so I am getting all concerned. I maybe get 1 cold sore per year and it has always been during the winter (in Canada). Is there any other explanation to a cold sore or is it just herpes?

Old 02-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #2

skargie420 HB User
Wink Re: Im so confused...

I dn't think that if your getting cold sores on your lip from time to time is really a big deal. everone gets them. but i wouldent engage in and sexual activities because they can spread onto another person. As of kissing and such... i dont really think that anyone whould want to kiss anyone with a cold sore anyways just mainly cuz of its gross freaturs when i get them i just avoid my boyfriend... lol its embarrasing but you could also go to a local pharmacy and buy a tube of abreva that would help speed up the heeling process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
(male)

fixme HB User
Re: Im so confused...

Ive been throwing Zovirax on it. Is that good stuff?

Old 02-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

Just don't kiss or engage in any sexual activity until a couple days after the sore is completely gone. I have oral type 1 and have never given it to anyone. Don't engage in oral sex even though oral herpes really doesn't like the genital area it's not impossible. Ask your dentist for denavere cream, put it on at the first tingle and the blister won't form at all. Hope this helps!

Old 02-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
(male)

fixme HB User

So no oral sex at all? or just when I have a cold sore?

Old 02-21-2005, 05:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

I would say prior to, during and even a few days after it heals no oral sex. As long as you don't have symptoms you should be okay. Now I am saying this ONLY from my own experience...I have had type 1 oral for as long as I can remember. I was with my first hubby for 15 years and have never given it to him anywhere and trust me we did have oral sex. I am not a big fan of people saying they got h when their partner had no symptoms( I am not saying it isn't possibe) BUT I think the symptom was there but only slightly and went unnoticed. I knew when the tingling started to refrain, and from kissing also. To keep my partner safe I would also wait until a few days after I was completely healed. Now my new husband has type 2, we do the same. Even if he feels "out of wack" we don't do anything. According to blood tests, I don't have type 2 and he does not have type 1 so apparently so far we are doing something right! Good luck & I hope this helps!

Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Yeah lbp35 gives some good advice there. Oral HSV1 is so common that if everyone who had it didn't have oral sex that would be 50-80% of the population not engaging in oral sex...

Certainly avoid oral sex during your OBs and if you are concerned you can always use protection during oral sex. Also, if you perform oral sex on someone who already has HSV1 / cold sores themselves, the risk of them acquiring HSV1 genitally is very low as they have antibodies to the virus.

Closed Thread