It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

carz HB User
Please Help

Hi,

About a week ago my labia(lip) became swollen and there was a spot with blister like sores on it which now looks like a little papercut. As well my groin area is so sore even the slightest touch is very painful.

I went to the doctors and she said it could be herpes or some sort of irritation. She did a swab but will take 3 weeks.

I have been with my husband for 7 years. I have never had anything like this before. Neither of us get cold sores on the mouth and he has never had anything on his penis. Is it possible to experience this 7 years later???

The only other thing I can think of is a few days before this happened we stayed at a hotel...can you catch this from a tub or sheets?

If it is herpes...what happens from here what can I expect and what measures should I take to protect other family members. Can I still bath with my child etc. Is it safe to use a bath sponge or do you have to use a new washcloth each time. Can someone catch it if they use my sponge or cloth?

Very scared and confused.
Thanks in advance and appreciate any insight.

Last edited by carz; 02-21-2005 at 07:49 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
(female)

GvilleGirl HB User
Re: Please Help

To tell you the truth it does sound like herpes, but Im no doctor. When I first got it thats why I didn't think it was, mine started out as 2 bumps that I thought were ingrown hairs so I didn't think about it, then throughout the days I got in alot of pain and it hurt soo bad to pee. When I looked it looked like papercuts, thats how I describe to this day.
As far as getting it from a hotel sheets or bathub it's highly unlikely. The virus needs a warm spot to stay, and the sheets Im sure weren't wet when you went to bed, and the tub is to hard of a surface.
If it is herpes I wouldn't worry about it to much passing it to your children. Just don't share the same towels,washclothes, or sponges you use. And wash the towels in hot water with a little bleach to be safe. As far as bathing with your children I don't see to much wrong with that, but Ill let someone else post and tell you what they think of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Please Help

1. GvilleGirl's advice sounds right to me although I am not a doctor either!

2. The herpes virus does not survive very long outside the human body - typically, less than thirty seconds. It has been cultivated from warm wet towels after several minutes, but catching it from a hotel's sheets or bathtub is exceptionally unlikely:

a) As GvilleGirl says, these are not warm wet objects; the sheets are dry and the bath too hard
b) The length of time since they were previously used would probably rule out herpes.

3. It is not a very good idea to let someone else use your washsponge or cloth. As a general rule, you shouldn't share these items anyway because if any item is going to pass on an STD, it is these. The risk is probably low, but it is there, and it's a good habit to get into not to share this stuff. As I say, herpes has been cultivated from wet towels, so I would make sure that you have separate bathroom items for the different members of your household - washcloths, sponges, towels etc. Backpacker who posts on here quite a bit recommends getting items with different colours or patterns so each family member has their own things which aren't used by others.

4. Herpes can certainly appear after seven years of not apparently appearing at all. One of the things about this virus is that it can remain dormant for a long time.

5. The other thing is that the virus can also appear in a very mild form. You say your husband has had nothing on his penis - has he ever been itchy in the genital area, had any kinds of bumps or irritation? Genital herpes can appear anywhere in the area which would be covered by a pair of boxer shorts, not just on the penis. It can also be mistaken for a variety of other genital complaints (and vice versa). Men tend to have more outbreaks than women, but the outbreaks tend to be less serious.

6. Although neither of you have cold sores on your mouth, the chances are that one or both of you nonetheless has HSV1. 50-80% of the population do. 90% of them do not get recurrent cold sores. Most people were infected as children and had one cold sore they do not recall (or more rarely, did not have a sore at all).

7. The question about bathing with your child - has anyone got any advice on this? I don't have kids and I am not sure about this one.

Sorry as I know it must be a difficult and stressful time for you. Keep posting here, there are some knowledgeable people on this board. Good luck.

Closed Thread