It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

tomuchbagange HB User
Confused......

Ok so last March or Arpil I went to the school doctor and they said I had herpes. I can't remember if they did a cultur or not. I know they didn't take blood. So since then I haven't had any outbreaks until a month ago and Im pregnant. I seem to get a lot of yeast infections while I am pregnant too. I finally had all my blood work done for the pregnancy and it came back negative for both simplex 1 and simplex 2. If I have it its been about a year so it should be able to be detected in a blood test by now. What do you think my chances of having herpes are? I know another good test is the cultur test, but only have 2 outbreaks and them being a year apart, and they only last about a week, I can't even get to the doctor to get it tested before it clears up. They did cultur a like day 5 or 7 after the OB started and said it came back negative.... Its so werid....

Old 03-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: Confused......

A culture 5 or 7 days after an OB has appeared is likely to test negative even if the sore swabbed is herpes - it really should be done within a couple of days (at the very most) after the sore appears in order to tell if it is herpes.

However, you test negative for herpes in blood tests - if it's been a year since you believe you were exposed to the virus, these should be very accurate. False negatives can happen, but not very often. Also, your initial diagnosis does not sound particularly reliable as they did not do a blood test and you don't recall a doctor taking a culture. Sometimes doctors diagnose things "by sight" but herpes can look like about 100 other things - and 100 other things can look like herpes!

Bearing in mind your blood test results, personally, I'd say it's unlikely that you in fact have herpes.

Last edited by beaker24; 03-05-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User
Re: Confused......

Quote:
Sometimes doctors diagnose things "by sight" but herpes can look like about 100 other things - and 100 other things can look like herpes!
OH! SO true!

I am not a big fan of the current blood tests. The rate of false negatives is a bit higher than I am comfortable with. And, did you specifically ask your ob/gyn to do the bloodwork for herpes when you got pregnant? Because it is NOT typically a part of the screening. So just wondering if you asked for the bloodwork or if they did it b/c you mentioned herpes. The ACOG recommends that ob/gyns screen pregnant women for herpes by getting a history ("Do you have herpes?" that's it!) and by monitoring for lesions.

I know two moms who said that they had outbreaks during pregnancy that were misdiagnosed as yeast infections. So, when you are having those symptoms, it might be a good time to have your doc do a culture of your vaginal walls and cervix. I also agree with pp that 5-7 days is too late. Now that you are pregnant, your ob/gyn should be eager to culture ANY sort of outbreak as soon as it begins.

The "good news" is that IF you already have herpes, your baby is pretty safe. The chances of passing herpes to your baby if you were infected prior to conception (or even during your first 2 trimesters) is only 1-5%. And if you are aware that you could possibly have it, then you can cut the risk down even more. The biggest risk and danger is to moms who contract herpes during the last trimester. So, I would suggest you protect yourself as if you have never been exposed (especially since your bloodwork is negative...but be sure those specific tests were performed).

My twins had neonatal HSV-1 so I learned an awful lot about herpes and pregnancy awful quickly. If you have any questions, I am happy to offer what I know.

Last edited by hsvmom; 03-06-2005 at 07:40 AM.

Closed Thread