It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User
Question asymptomatic vaginal herpes: how to get a diagnosis?

What if a girl has genital herpes but she doesn't get outbreaks? How could she be sure she has it? A bloodtest would show herpes, but it wouldn't say where the herpes is. And a swab or culture probably wouldn't show herpes if she didn't have an outbreak, right?

Old 02-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User
Re: asymptomatic vaginal herpes: how to get a diagnosis?

HI THERE WELL I'M NOT TO SURE ABOUT THE BLOOD TEST I DO BELEIVE THEY CAN TELL BUT I KNOW THEY CAN TELL WITH THE SWAB...ON O-B... BUT WHAT IS THE REASON U THINK U HAVE G-H OR H OF ANY KIND?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

Well, with asymptomatic shedding and all, I'm worried that I might have GH (probably HSV1) by my boyfriend going down on me. I sometimes have some discharge, but this could be because a number of reasons. Anyway, I know that a blood test can say if you have HSV1 or HSV2, but as most people have oral herpes, if a HSV1 infection turns up the doctor will probably conclude oral herpes, not genital. My doctor refused to test me for herpes (the *******) so I'll have to look for another doctor.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

Now Does Ur Boy Friend Have H-1 If So Be Very Careful That Can Lead Into G-h... If Ur Dr Isn't Gonna Do The Test Then Look For Another... U Should Find Out As Soon As U Can To Start Taking Care Of Your Self... Have U Talked This Over With Ur B-f About The G-h?

Old 02-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST 4 YEARS
Now Does Ur Boy Friend Have H-1 If So Be Very Careful That Can Lead Into G-h... If Ur Dr Isn't Gonna Do The Test Then Look For Another... U Should Find Out As Soon As U Can To Start Taking Care Of Your Self... Have U Talked This Over With Ur B-f About The G-h?
My BF has been tested for HSV2, but not HSV1. I haven't been tested for either. Neither of us have had cold sores (well, I did have a red bump a couple of weeks ago, most likely a zit, but it got me worried). My mom has cold sores, so I probably have HSV1. I could have given it to my boyfriend (which in turn could have given it to me genitally) and I could have accidently infected my own genitals. And I could have infected him genitally too. A lot of "if" and "could be"...

My BF thinks I'm freaking out about nothing, because neither of us have symptoms, but he would be willing to get tested if I ask him. One positive thing though: he doesn't care about the possibility of herpes, he promised he wouldn't blame me if he got genital herpes from me. (But I'm not too keen on being infected by him...)

Old 02-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

So U Said He Was Tested B4? And What Was The Outcome? Alot Of People Can Go Without Even Knowing They Have It Cause Some Symptoms Can Be So Mild U Dont Even Think About It... It Can Stay Dorment For Along Time... It Sounds Like U Have A Really Good B-f... But If U Have It And He Don't I Would Still Recommed Protection.. I Would Still Go And Get Checked Maybe U Guys Can Go Together And Get Checked ...

Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

My BF tested negative. Btw, yes he' great

I'm his very first girlfriend (he never even frenchkissed a girl before me) so his getting checked for STDs was just a formality. And I only had one previous relationship, but with a girl, so low risk for STDs too. But herpes is a tricky one...

One of my problems is: my parents still pay for my health care, so I won't be able to get tested without them knowing, so I'd have to find a way around that... All this for a disease I don't even have symptoms of... I think a lot of people worry, simply because it can't be healed. "incurable" is a heavy burden to bear.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

THATS SO FUNNY THAT UR WITH HIM AND HE NEVER EVEN KISSED ANYONE THAT GREAT I'VE BEEN WITH MY HUBBY FOR 20 YEARS NOW AND MARRIED 14 AND HE NEVER BEEN WITH ANYONE EITHER... SO I DO WISH U LUCK..SINCE UR STILL UNDER UR PARENTS INSURANCE MAYBE TRY LIKE PLANED PARENT HOOD.. I'M GUESSING UR YOUNG SO IF EVERYTHING DOES COME OUT OK TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF YES IT'S INCUREABLE BUT....... IT'S NOT A DEATH SENTENCE...

Old 02-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lietchi
My BF tested negative. Btw, yes he' great

I'm his very first girlfriend (he never even frenchkissed a girl before me) so his getting checked for STDs was just a formality. And I only had one previous relationship, but with a girl, so low risk for STDs too. But herpes is a tricky one...

One of my problems is: my parents still pay for my health care, so I won't be able to get tested without them knowing, so I'd have to find a way around that... All this for a disease I don't even have symptoms of... I think a lot of people worry, simply because it can't be healed. "incurable" is a heavy burden to bear.
I am a lesbian and managed to get probably one of the only two STDs (HPV being the other one) which are passed on between lesbians to any degree of significance This was after I had had paranoia about passing on HSV to my previous girlfriend as I got cold sores myself I managed to get HSV1 genitally despite having it orally already as I was getting pretty sick at the time I had oral sex (though I didn't know it!) and my girlfriend's sore was possibly just beginning to form

However, you're right that relationships between women are a low risk for STDs. I would also say that whilst you appear to be very responsible in being concerned about HSV1, that although the virus is not curable, in the vast majority of people it is not a big deal. Most people's genital HSV1 is also less serious than oral HSV1. I have oral HSV1 and have had two outbreaks in the last year. I also have genital HSV1 and have had no outbreaks in the last year, despite this infection being more recent. HSV1 prefers the mouth and even then, in most people it is not a particulalry virulent virus.

A minority of people do suffer badly with HSV1, but they are unlucky. My mother gets at least one cold sore a month which is quite a lot, but she doesn't really look after herself.

As you know, the fact you don't have symptoms of H doesn't mean you don't have it but if I were you I would relax a little bit, educate yourself about the risks and realise that with so many people out there having HSV1, there would be lots of people missing out on oral sex if none of those with HSV1 did it!

To put your mind at rest, could you possibly pay separately for a private herpes test, not on your parents' insurance, or would this not be possible or too expensive? I am in the UK and things work differently here, our health service is quite different to the US.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

I'm in Belgium, so things work even more differently here What you're saying is: if I have oral HSV1 without symptoms, then genital HSV1 shouldn't give me symptoms either? (that would be a consolation) Then I only have to worry about my boyfriend. I'll ask a doc if I can get tested without my parents knowing. (chucks, I feel so dumb, I have no idea how health insurance works...)

As for my relationship with a girl, she had had some dubious sexual experiences (with guys) before she met me, so who knows what I could have contracted from her... It's funny, for a guy and a girl getting tested for STDs is logical. But for a lesbian couple... The risks are there though. Just imagine sharing a *****... Nevertheless a doctor (same one who wouldn't test for herpes) almost refused to test me for HIV after my relationship with that girl, when I started having sex with my current boyfriend. Man, how come I get all the stupid doctors...

Old 02-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

I'm still not sure how I could get diagnosed for genital herpes without having outbreaks... Could a swab or culture show herpes when someone doesn't have outbreaks? Or would it give a false negative?

Old 03-02-2005, 06:57 AM   #12
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

HI
I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE SO. I THINK U MUST HAVE A BREAK OUT TO GET A SWAB TEST.. IF U HAVE A LOCAL CLINIC MAYBE U CAN CALL THEM AND FIND OUT WHAT TO DO...

Closed Thread