It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

Jessicat223 HB User
Treated Like Dirt in ER

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience with GH.
I was diagnosed 1 1/2 yrs ago.
I had an outbreak so bad I could not walk, and I was the most frightened I'd ever been in my life.

I went to the ER because I was in such pain.
The ER Doc was sooooo cold and rude- telling me I needed to get checked for every STD in the book. Like "You should have known better".
Gave me Valtrex (which made me depressed when taking it), and sent me on my merry way.
The first year was very bad ob-wise, but now the ob's are virtually nonexistent. There is hope.
The most info I've been able to get has been from the net.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:24 PM   #2

kierstyn_04 HB User
Re: Treated Like Dirt in ER

I went to a womens only clinic because I didnt have insurance at the time. The dr came in, said to put my feet in the sturrups and withing like 1 second said its herpes like it was no biggie, but said hed do a swab just cause even though he was positive just by looking. He treated it like it was no biggie nad then left the room. Then some chick nurse came in gave me a perscription for valtrex and that wsa that. It was only when I came back in about 3 months later that he really sat down with me asked me hoe the valtrex was working and how it has been, maybe I caught him on a busy day. But since that experience, dr's ahve been very cold about it and treated me weird. It sucks. It makes me want to become a dr so I can be nice and help people since that doesnt seem to happen a lot anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

Jessicat223 HB User

Wow, That is so similar to when I went, the nurse gave me the Valtrex and sent me home, The Dr. took one look at my OB and knew what it was.

And the first nurse came in, saw me crying and was like "You don't HAVE herpes, You wouldn't have been able to walk if you did!!!!" She had NO clue how bad the OB was, because she didn't look.
I called her for my results and she was shocked that I had it!

Old 02-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
(female)

Broken_Angel HB User

i went thru the same thing at the er.....i guess i was having my first OB..it was so painful i could barely walk let alone sit.....i told the nurse why i was there...and she said she needed a urine sample and blood ...i couldnt pee so they stuck a catheter in me..poured iodine down me without any pain medication..it was the worse pain ive ever expierenced in my life.....after all that was done the doctor finally came in looked at me for 2 secs said i had herpes prescribed me vicodin and valtrex and walked out...we wasnt trying to hear anything i had to say...i had open sores at the time....they took a blood test and urine test but didnt swab?!?!?!......when i went to my follow up a week later at my doctors i didnt have any sores visable....she told me that the only real way to find out if i have it is to get a swab from an open sore becuz all my blood and urine came back negative for everything...why didnt the doctor from the er do that if he knew.......the er sucks! i know not every er but damn..im sorry u had to go thru almost the same thing hun

Last edited by Broken_Angel; 02-25-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User

Sadly, doctors are very blase about herpes and can seem maybe a bit cold about it because it's very common and by no means fatal. Unfortunately doctors see worse things every day than a non-fatal STD and they are only human, when they rationalise it perhaps they will not see herpes as a big thing compared to cancer, children dying though they have tried their hardest to save them etc.

I am not trying to trivialise what you are going through as herpes is tough (I know it is) but just trying to explain why doctors might not seem unduly concerned about it.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
(female)

Jessicat223 HB User

I do understand. There was a man having a heart attack in the next room, so I was waiting for three hours in a paper robe, and I kept coming out to ask thre male nurse when I would be seen. He was not amused and proceeded to let me know the guy was having a heart attack next door and to relax. Looking back now I can see how it looks crazy on my part.
But then I was scared!

Old 02-27-2005, 02:29 AM   #7

unlucky_guy HB User

My doctor acted like it was the first time he'd ever seen genital herpes. I asked him if he sees it a lot...and he kind of shrugged and said "no, not really." Definitely wasn't very comforting.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
(female)

FitChic HB User

I was about 2 seconds from heading to the ER as well during my first outbreak.............i couldnt get into the gynocologist until about 10am the next morning and that was definlity one of the longest nights of my life............

regardless, i lasted and headed to the doctor by myself in the morning........as soon as he looked he knew what it was and it was total opposite of some of the experiences i just read.........he acted like it was no big deal at all..........he was so nonchalant about it..........i was so surpised.............here i am feaking out, balling crying and hes acting like nothing happened..........

Old 02-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

I went to my usual gyno. She did the same, put my feet in the stirrups and took one look and goes "i think it's herpes but we'll do a cultural swab just to make sure"

she put me in shock, i cried and she talked and i still have no clue what she really said to me!

I guess they forget this is new to us and we arent going to take it well. and Pretend it wont affect us at that moment.

Closed Thread