It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

LovesHim HB User
Type 1 Protection from Type 2?

I've had a cold sore before, so I suppose that I am one of the 50-80% of us who has oral, type-1, herpes. Does having type-1 herpes provide any protection at all against getting type-2 herpes orally? I'm weighing the risk of performing oral sex on my boyfriend who does have type-2 genital herpes.

I am commited to him and we are planning a future together, so that too, plays a part in my decision, but I'm trying to get as informed as possible. I've already decided that being with him is worth the risk of actually getting genital herpes...but what are the risks of getting type 2 herpes orally from performing oral sex on him? And does having type 1 oral herpes (history of having a cold sore) provide any protection from getting Type-2 herpes orally?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
(male)

Stillhope1 HB User
Re: Type 1 Protection from Type 2?

I got it from my ex, so before I answer your question make sure you want to be with him. Is their anything else in your life you want to do before you start your future with him. Had to ask that is why my ex left. OK yes you can get it. In order not to get it you just need to make sure he is not shedding. She performed oral on me with no complications. Please be sure though because if you do get it does not go away. If he ever leaves you will be very angry with him. Trust me I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

LovesHim HB User

Thanks for answering. Yes, I have a life outside of him, but I'm pretty sure I want him to be apart of my life. I'll admit, the Herpes thing is heartbreaking. And how sure can you ever be with anyone you meet? I'm as sure as one can be and feeling connected enough with this guy to feel like it will last. I figure, the only way I can think realistically about this, is to assume that being with him, eventually I will get it. Of course, I plan to take precautions. And I think he's more cautious and worried about passing it to me than I am about getting it. I'm really not sure what to do. I want to stay with him. It feels right. Then it feels like a gamble too. All or nothing. I don't know. Dating him seems like a sentence to getting herpes, but I don't want to NOT commit to him because of the herpes. I'll take precautions, but eventually, seems like I'll get it. Shouldn't I just come to terms with that?

About the oral....I keep reading that even though it's possible, it's less likely to get the type-2 kind orally because most of us already have the type-1 kind and that's providing some kind of protection. Aside from avoiding activities when he's shedding, or symptomatic, which is a given, is there any reassurance at all in it being less likely that I'll get type-2 orally if i perform oral sex on him?

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
(male)

Stillhope1 HB User

Use mouthwash after or gargle peroxide.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
(female)

LovesHim HB User

Are you serious? Of course, nothing short of abstaning is 100% safe, but this just sounds silly. Really.... are you serious?

Old 02-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

HSV-1 is not protection against HSV-2. As a matter of fact, in vaccine trials, a vaccine against HSV-2 was MORE effective if a woman had not been exposed to HSV-1. If it helped protect against HSV-2 then you would expect the opposite.

He can have asymptomatic shedding, so that is something to consider. If he is shedding, you can contract HSV-2. The same is true for you...you could have asymptomatic shedding and infect him with HSV-1.

I would suggest you avoid it, or at the very least, use a condom.

Last edited by hsvmom; 02-28-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
(female)

Pazzesco HB User
In a somewhat similar position

I've started dating a guy now for going on 3 months and I really like him. We were friends before so we've known eachother for longer than that. The herpes thing has definately affected our sex life as far as what we will and wont do and right now sex isn't an option. Right now we're both about to graduate from school and are in very transitory positions in our life so until there is some idea about where we'll end up and if that destination will be together I think thats probably best for now.

But what I have been looking into and what you should definately consider is the Herpes Vaccine. Do a search for herpevac and you may find a testing sight near you. If you dont have either HSV1 or HSV2 you'd be eligable and you could then get the vaccine which has been pretty successful as I understand but unfortunately is only found to work in woman not exposed to either HSV1 or HSV2.

I do think I'm falling for this guy and I'm looking more into the vaccine. I've decided that herpes shouldn't be a reason to not date him but the risk is defiantely somethign to consider.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

Condoms don't protect form herpes, which sheds not merely in the area of the sore, but along the groin.

I have been with my soulmate for almost 14 years and he has never gotten herpes 2 from me. (Niether of us has it orally.) We have used some common sense and caution about when to have sex. We do have oral sex quite a lot and don't use condoms, except when I am fertile. Please read the "Happy Couples" thread (maybe 2 or 3 pages back) for my suggestions, plus lots of other people's experiences and ideas on keeping your partner h-free.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

As we are discussing catching herpes 2 orally, i am curious as to how the virus appears orally? does it 'generally' look like the typical cold sore you might experience from type 1 or more severe? I'm aware everybody is different, but just curious.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

Quote:
But what I have been looking into and what you should definately consider is the Herpes Vaccine. Do a search for herpevac and you may find a testing sight near you. If you dont have either HSV1 or HSV2 you'd be eligable and you could then get the vaccine which has been pretty successful as I understand but unfortunately is only found to work in woman not exposed to either HSV1 or HSV2.
this may be a good idea, but remember it's investigational. There are several vaccines being studied to see if they are even effective. the one you mention has an efficacy rate of somewhere between 70-80% for women who test seronegative for hsv1 and 2. the development depends on willing participants, so i would definately encourage any cantidates to look into participating! just dont count on it as protection...

Old 03-04-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hsvmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker
Condoms don't protect form herpes, which sheds not merely in the area of the sore, but along the groin.
good point...

Last edited by hsvmom; 03-04-2005 at 12:40 AM.

Closed Thread