It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #1

guywithquestion HB User
My GF is a virgin, but there's always a herpes risk with oral sex, right? (More...)

My girlfriend is a virgin, and I have only had 1 partner and know I have no STDs, having been tested, so it seems like we don't really have to have STD worries. BUT, I know its common for people to have hsv 1 and get an occasional cold sore, which can be passed on to the genitals through oral sex. I talked to my GF about this, and she said she's never had a cold sore. I haven't either. But, technically, its still possible to have hsv 1 and never get a cold sore right?

She recently gave me oral sex. She had no cold sores. I don't want to be a hypochondriac, but technically there was a chance of a transmission, right? She's a virgin, and has never had a cold sore. While this doesn't eliminate all risk, it would be unlikely from one time, right? She did have a cut on her tongue, but hsv has nothing to do with blood, right?

Anyway, I just want to be careful, for both of us. I really love her. Would it be bad to maybe suggest we both get checked for hsv 1? (For total peace of mind, since we both know neither of us has any 'STDs'.) I don't want to insult her either.

Last edited by guywithquestion; 02-28-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beaker24 HB User
Re: My GF is a virgin, but there's always a herpes risk with oral sex, right? (More...)

My personal opinion is that you should over-concern yourself with HSV1. You are right; you can have HSV1 and never have a cold sore (or more likely, have one as a child and never get another one, and you were too young to remember it).

HSV is passed on by skin to skin contact rather than bodily fluids like blood, semen etc. Howeve, bear in mind that even if herpes is not a factor, if either of you have sores or cuts on the mouth of any kind, oral sex is not a particularly good idea just for general reasons relating to infections.

You could both get checked for HSV1 if it would put your mind at rest although chances are at least one of you will test positive. Perhaps though if you did know your HSV1 status you could go from there.

Herpes is not included in the standard screening for STDs - you have to ask for it specifically. Did you do this?

Last edited by beaker24; 03-05-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread