It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
(male)

bill02 HB User
Fasle Negative????

Check this out...

I believe I have been exposed to genital herpes. I had what I would describe as a severe initial outbreak a month ago. Several painful blisters formed, then popped, then went away. But no flu type symptoms or anything else.

I saw my doctor during the first week of this outbreak, blisters were starting to heal (nasty pus, gross looking, painful). She agreed with me, that it was herpes. Gave me valtrex, sent me to lab to be tested. I took the HerpeSelect test, and it came back negative. I waited 5 weeks, went to urologist. Outbreak now fully gone. Retested and AGAIN negative! No antibodies, completely negative. The urologist had me see the other urologist in the office for a second opinion. I would surly have detectable antibodies after 5-6 weeks of the first outbreak, right? They sure thought so. All he could tell me is to wait another month, and retest. (or maybe I dont have it)

Could I have dodged the bullet?

What do you guys think?

Also… my gf had a very small outbreak at the same time as mine. (she swears it was her first also) Back then she was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. Dr. gave her something to treat that and sent her on her way.

Monday she took the same blood test as I took, she gets results tomorrow. I am pretty sure she gave it to me, if I do really have it. What the hell else could it be?

Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #2

SweptUnder HB User
Re: Fasle Negative????

Hey there,

I had a sort of similar situation, except, well, mine is quite a bit more confusing. I tested negative as well on these tests, but basically I was told that in some people it can even take up from 12-16 weeks before you start making antibodies. In addition, prior to my test, I was not aware that there is a gG deficient strain of herpes that is not properly detected by the type-specific tests. I've read that anywhere between 0.7 and 10% of infected people might have this strain.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #3
(male)

bill02 HB User
Re: Fasle Negative????

have you retested, 12-16 weeks later? still negative? what is it called?

hmm???

Closed Thread